Why become a member? ×

Changing gauge without adjusting the nut

Hutton

I have just purchased a Jazz bass which is strung with 50-105 gauge strings. I want to fit my preferred strings (TI flats) which are 43 - 100. Is it going to be likely that I will need a new nut? 

I wouldn’t have thought a few thousandths of an inch would be a particularly big issue. I restrung my Rob Allen 5 string E-C once and it didn’t need any adjustment and there was about a 0.025 difference there (changed it back as I didn’t like it particularly). Try it and see.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I wouldn’t have thought a few thousandths of an inch would be a particularly big issue. I restrung my Rob Allen 5 string E-C once and it didn’t need any adjustment and there was about a 0.025 difference there (changed it back as I didn’t like it particularly). Try it and see.

Thanks man!👍

• Like 1

Let's be honest - 0.025" is just over half of a millimetre - assuming that the string sits in the middle of the groove then it's just over a quarter of a millimetre per side.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much.

• Thanks 1

No!

And even if you swapped to a set with a gauge .095, or even .090, low E string it would still not be an issue.

I am speaking out of experience here.

The way the nut slots are cut they form an U, almost V, shape, meaning that thinner gauge strings will just sit a bit lower in the slots, but exactly just as well.

And say you wanted to change to tenor bass tuning, that is A standard tuning, and use a gauge .080 or similar string in the nut slot otherwise intended for a low E string, fitting a small cut to size strip of a layer or two of adhesive shielding copper tape down in the nut slots would make that perfectly viable as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

Great replies for which I am very grateful. This has to be the best forum on the internet. No question is ever treated as irrelevant and no member is made to feel

stupid. I love this community.

Edited by Hutton
  • Like 4

I bought a precision a while back which came with the labella jamerson flats 52-110 fitted, they are way too heavy for me so I put my usual LTF’s on 42-100 , no problems whatsoever, I’d say you’ll be fine 

• Thanks 1