Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Alpha Omicron

BassAdder60

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I have the original AO.

It’s a very good pedal but I do find it surprisingly string dependent. I find it horrible with flats! Great with rounds though.

It’s entirely possible it’s just my problem though! :D 

Given that it's Jon Stockman's signature pedal I don't think it was designed for flats!

I can't stand the BxK/Vintage Darkglass pedals, but REALLY like the Alpha Omega which I've owned in every guise, including the amp. 

Edited by Bigwan
Lost half my original post somehow!
  • Like 1

I had it and was very much caught up in the DG hype when it came out. In isolation, the sound was great and I was very excited to use it, but in a mix, besides cranking the volume until the bass was way too loud, it got totally lost.

Interestingly, this was the same issue with all three of the DG pedals I’ve owned. I eventually sold the AO on (it was the last of my three DG pedals to go) and went back to using Fuzzrocious stuff which has always done me proud in a live mix.

As a recording tool though, I think the AO really has some legs.

• Like 2

I've used mine a little now, mostly at home but then last night doing "silent" practice via PA and headphones. The drummer wasn't going the whole hog with the gigging kit and the guitarist brought an electro acoustic, lead guitarist not present.... So far what I've noticed is that the punch and depth or thickness of the tone is not lost. That's the winner for me. The actual distortion sounds Alpha and Omega (or Omicron?) I have to be honest are not too different to me! I've got the duality fuzz and the two modes are very different, with this I'm not hearing as much of a difference. Nevertheless I want to get this tried in the full band mix at volume to hear what it gives. Having used guitar pedals with mixed success and needing very precise settings I'm just pleased I've got a tool made for the job. Not sure I'd pay the full shop price but second hand off BC I'm pleased with what I paid and can't see me needing to change this.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

I tried one out and it quite liked it. I actually preferred it with just a small amount of drive, and all the way to the left on the alpha side. I ended up buying a second hand X Ultra instead as I liked the option to have the filters to fine tune the drive. Eventually sold that, I still have a Vintage Microtubes on my board but rarely use it tbh. For my drive tones now I either use the Lomenzo Hyperdrive or EBS Sheehan sig pedal. If I were to go back to DG for a pedal to use all the time, the AO would be my choice 

• Like 2