Why become a member? ×

Made in USA Fender California Precision Bass Special 1998 Black n' Gold - Back on sale. Postage added. - *SOLD*
£600
Edinburgh

Hey!

Alright so, I got my eye on something and this shall be the sacrificial lamb...

Been using this for a while and had lots of fun playing it. it's a PJ so nothing crazy. you already know the drill. its stated as made in USA but a few google searches mention in shares some parts made in Mexico... im not sure what the law was in the US at the time where it was okay to state made in the USA depending on the domestic parts - perhaps someone could fill me in. either way it plays and feels just as good as any US fender own. 

condition wise - quite good for a bass this age; its 27 years old.

I used bathroom digital scales and got an estimate weight of 4.1kg but that is a very rough estimate im afraid I took an average of about 6 weigh ins with me holding the bass.

Thin Jazz neck. Anodised gold pick guard.

I had the frets polished and crowned at my local luthier back in portsmouth a year ago. they are still super shiny! always lemon oiled and well loved after. I gave it a deep clean and took apart the bridge and cleaned that too. also took the neck off to reveal its production date. 

no major dents or nicks in the finish - but does show signs of use throughout the years as you can see in the photos. The finish on the back of the neck has worn away in places and I have periodically given it a rub down with scotchbrite to smooth over any blemishes and keep the satin feel. 

(maybe?...) I think the previous owner had it in a conservatory for a few hot summers perhaps as some of the finish around the decals has cracked; other than that it's in great shape.   

it may need a new tone pot; its working but sometimes cuts out until give it a little wiggle - so for gigging I would give it a look at. could be a simple fix.

collection preferred but happy to talk shipping, I would use overland express via UPS as recently did a trade with these guys and everything went smoothly. 

I recorded a demo of some sounds with some rusty ass playing! but its gives you an idea of its tonal character - its quite a snappy bass. 

DSC03933.JPG

DSC03934.JPG

DSC03935.JPG

DSC03937.JPG

DSC03938.JPG

DSC03939.JPG

DSC03940.JPG

DSC03941.JPG

IMG_7456.jpeg

IMG_7457.jpeg

Edited by Robert Manning
Back on sale.
  • Like 7

Wikipedia gives his explanation: "Fender California Series electric guitars were produced by Fender in 1997 and 1998. The guitars were carved in California, shipped to Baja California Norte, Ensenada, Mexico for painting, then assembled in California.... The serial numbers are in an AMXN + 6 digits format while the first digit represents the year of production. AMXN7***** means the guitar was manufactured in 1997."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely bass, but how on Earth is it cheaper to send a bass to another country for painting (even if it is next door) then bring it back again?

23 minutes ago, Jack said:

Lovely bass, but how on Earth is it cheaper to send a bass to another country for painting (even if it is next door) then bring it back again?

Fuel is cheap. Labour, rent and business rates aren’t. Paint and prep are labour and time intensive.

Nice bass btw. Scotland seems to be the home of the great value bass atm judging from what is coming up here!

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2024 at 09:13, Jack said:

The two factories are pretty close to each other, just with a border between them

• Robert Manning changed the title to Made in USA Fender California Precision Bass Special 1998 Black n' Gold - Sound Demo *on hold pending sale*

Back up for sale taking off hold. 

Was in the process of postage so have a MusicMan retail box and boatload of bubble wrap and a protection racket semi hard case ready to ship. The hard case has a dodgy ZIP so it’s more of a vessel for postage than a case; still a bonus tho! 🤓

UPS: it would be (£67.24 inc VAT) this is fully insured for £600

ParcelForce: (£37.54 inc VAT) this is fully insured for £600 via overland express I believe.

I would recommend UPS as I used it twice before but the option for a more affordable shipping is there!

I’m really hoping to scrape some money together to get my dream bass a reliced 60s custom shop jazz so I’m not super interested is trades but you never know 

cheers!