Why become a member? ×

Intonation Problem

So I bought a bass that won't intonate. Only on one string but it's maxed out and needs to go further. Had this on another bass and I just moved the bridge back a bit; problem solved.

This bridge is fixed into drilled holes. It ain't moving.

Is there owt I can do?

OK folks, getting the ruler out to measure string height, I used it to check what my unreliable eyesight was telling me. The bridge has been bodged on and it isn't square. Not much but the couple of mm I need.

Nothing short of major surgery can fix this one I'm afraid.

• Sad 2

On 21/01/2024 at 17:08, stewblack said:

OK folks, getting the ruler out to measure string height, I used it to check what my unreliable eyesight was telling me. The bridge has been bodged on and it isn't square. Not much but the couple of mm I need.

I might be far from the optimal solution from a strictly aesthetical point of view, but if possible it would certainly fix it from a functional/practical point of view: Wouldn't it be possible to remove the current bridge and install an entirely different more regular one, or even mono rail bridge piece, and that way fix the problem? 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

13 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I might be far from the optimal solution from a strictly aesthetical point of view, but if possible it would certainly fix it from a functional/practical point of view: Wouldn't it be possible to remove the current bridge and install an entirely different more regular one, or even mono rail bridge piece, and that way fix the problem? 

If I could find a bridge that suited the bass and covered all the holes drilled out to sink the existing bridge into the body, then yes, absolutely.

On 21/01/2024 at 16:08, stewblack said:

Any chance the neck has a 21st fret overhang ?

Sticking a block arse end of the pocket would shift the nut further from the bridge.

Course you'd need to plug and re-drill the neck screws but the bridge can remain in place and the overhang will hide the eyesore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm actually going with @kodiakblair 's idea and moving the neck farther away.

I went the opposite way last time Stew.

Felt the bridge on was too close to the pickup on this build. 30" scale length 24 frets.

ShortyGreen(1).thumb.jpg.4f235aa5504400b99502e670fae65cbe.jpg

For my take on the Mosrite, I still used a 30" scale 24 fret neck but chopped it down to 20 frets. Forced me to move the bridge to a better position.

IMG_20231228_170303700_HDR.thumb.jpg.1591797a4f45bab99de40b463d1a5514.jpg 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2024 at 23:22, kodiakblair said:

I went the opposite way last time Stew.

Felt the bridge on was too close to the pickup on this build. 30" scale length 24 frets.

ShortyGreen(1).thumb.jpg.4f235aa5504400b99502e670fae65cbe.jpg

For my take on the Mosrite, I still used a 30" scale 24 fret neck but chopped it down to 20 frets. Forced me to move the bridge to a better position.

IMG_20231228_170303700_HDR.thumb.jpg.1591797a4f45bab99de40b463d1a5514.jpg 

Out of interest,  where did you find a 30" scale 24 fret neck?

26 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Out of interest,  where did you find a 30" scale 24 fret neck?

Both basses used guitar bodies so I went with baritone paddle necks.

All maple one from Yinfente, rosewood board from Seimonic/Guitar-Shopping. Cost about £60 - £65.