Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Blazer spruce up

Elfrasho

I bought this bass off this very forum about 5 years ago. Got it because it's a YOB bass, it was cheap, and it looked like it had a bit of mojo and had the idea of a project.  When I got it, it played well, but the "Wear" was more like the wear you get from throwing it down the stairs rather than through 40 years of hardcore sex, drugs and rock n roll. And, for some reason, I got it in my head that all the bits were very specifically to this bass so it would involve more than a bit of DIY to get aftermarket parts fitted.  Turns out i was wrong.

I've used it a few times, but has mainly sat in a case. I'm doing a gig with an indy type band next month so felt a more edgier bass might look more the part so got this out. Still not happy with the look, I decided to give it a wee spruce up.

Hopefully the original owner doesnt mind me nicking his photo's as unbeleivlably in 5 years of ownership i never photographed it.

Things I did:

• sanded the body - took literally 40 minutes - the finish was extremely thin and I'm convinced not original
  • resprayed with £6 furniture stain from The Range
  • Lacquered with furniture lacquer from the Range - sanded then repeated.
  • put on new pickup covers as the old ones were cracked
  • cleaned the pick guard with car black cleaner. before it was old matt and faded, now it is jet black and almost shiny
  • brasso'd the bridge
  • resoldered a joint in the electrics as it disconnected during the taking apart
  • put on new brass knobs

Things I learnt:

• if the new pickup covers are tight, don't force them as it's now impossible to get the pickups out the covers - it's not longer a reversible mod
  • the stain colour was far darker than i was expecting. I was aiming for a more red-ish stain, this is almost black.
  • brasso is incredible

What I will say is it plays superbly. It balances great, and the action can get quite low so its a breeze to play.However, for me its a bit too mid range growly; almost too characterful. So, I might look at changing the pups at some point. 

The finish is not pro level but i do like that you can see the grain. I wonder though if i really should've just left it!

20190224_122909.jpg.cc39df3f964da97d4bb0031375ad92c9.jpg

20190224_122919.jpg.31be4562908bf25f641500d55373f918.jpg

• Like 4

I think it looks great mate! Personally, I'd be tempted to make a new pickguard for it though.

I've always fancied a YOB Blazer or Yamaha BB (1981). ❤️👌

Is your neck alignment a touch off or is it just the photo angle?

Congrats anyway, it looks superb!

41 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I think it looks great mate! Personally, I'd be tempted to make a new pickguard for it though.

I've always fancied a YOB Blazer or Yamaha BB (1981). ❤️👌

Is your neck alignment a touch off or is it just the photo angle?

Congrats anyway, it looks superb!

Yes. My original plan was to change the guard too, but it buffed up nicely. I like black on black but i could go anything really since its a blank canvas. You thinkin a 3 ply black?

It plays lovely so id assume its a photo angle thang!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

Yes. My original plan was to change the guard too, but it buffed up nicely. I like black on black but i could go anything really since its a blank canvas. You thinkin a 3 ply black?

It plays lovely so id assume its a photo angle thang!

I reckon 3 ply black would look killer! ❤️👌🔥💥

Edited by TRBboy

7 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

the stain colour was far darker than i was expecting. I was aiming for a more red-ish stain, this is almost black.

It looks like one of the stock colours from that era, at least on my monitor. It looks good.

Mine was a burst I bought new and which I grew to hate the finish, but it was thick as it took lots of abuse, so yours likely wasn't original.

Cheers troops. I will also day that I had a fee glasses of red in me when I edited those photos... and I've clearly went a bit OTT on raising the blacks..  its not as washed out in real life as those photos suggest haha