Why become a member? ×

Zoom quandary...

TRBboy

Hey folks! 😊

I have a Zoom B3 on my pedal board, which I've had for donkeys years. I mainly use it for 'occasional' effects that I might only use for the odd song during a set, like chorus, octave, fuzz or envelope, and I just use it in stompbox mode, i.e. I use one patch, with three different effects on.

I have standalone pedals for the effects I use more, like comp, a light drive on the MXR (and clean boost), and heavier drive on the Boss. I've recently reintroduced the wah, and although I don't use it much, I do enjoy it! 😊

The problem is, the zoom takes up a lot of space and although I've played around with configurations, it's all a bit.... Awkward.

I had to ditch my tuner pedal and use the one on the zoom instead.

So, I'm thinking about space saving, and wondered if the zoom MS-60b is worth looking at? My only reservation is I don't understand whether I could switch through effects whilst playing, or trigger individual or multiple effects?

Other options include; ditch the boss and use a drive on the zoom (I don't use heavier drive for many songs), ditch the wah and buy a compact expression pedal to use a wah on the zoom (is the pedal wah on the zoom any good?), or ditch the zoom altogether and get a cheap chorus pedal. I do like having the zoom though for it's flexibility, and if I suddenly need a different effect, I can find it.

Any thoughts or opinions much appreciated! 🙏

Thanks

EDIT: I should add, I'm looking to spend as little as possible on any changes! 😅

PXL_20231230_231249238.jpg

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

A good half way house (and including an excellent LED tuner for dark stages), is the Zoom B1-4. It has a significantly bigger feature set than the MS-60B and is amazingly good value for what it does. Recommend checking out.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

A good half way house (and including an excellent LED tuner for dark stages), is the Zoom B1-4. It has a significantly bigger feature set than the MS-60B and is amazingly good value for what it does. Recommend checking out.

Thanks Al, that was also on my radar! I wasn't sure again about switching between effects though, would I just have to up/down through patches? I know you can use up to 5 effects in each patch, but can you trigger them individually whilst performing?

• Like 2

@Al Krow ah I see you can, there is a 'stomp mode'. The only downside is that you have to cycle through the effects in the patch to turn different ones on and off....

Looking at the B1X-four also now, as I could use the wah on that...  👌

• Like 1

You have 5 banks of 10 patches available to you. So you can set them up as you please and in the order you want. You can select a bank via a push switch and then paddle up down through that bank. I've personally not gone down the individual effects within a patch route with the B1-4.

I tend to have a preamp setting with added presence as my default, and then have my most commonly used patches - which I've set up and edited myself using the super useful Tonelib (free) software with whatever effects are appropriate (Xotic BB, Z-Synth, Motown, Volume boost etc) in the first bank. I probably end up using no more than two or three at most during a gig.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

@Al Krow ah I see you can, there is a 'stomp mode'. The only downside is that you have to cycle through the effects in the patch to turn different ones on and off....

Looking at the B1X-four also now, as I could use the wah on that...  👌

Bear in mind that the B1-4X is not going to save you any space on your pedal board though compared to a B3 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Bear in mind that the B1-4X is not going to save you any space on your pedal board though compared to a B3 😉

No, but it means I could get rid of the wah, so I'll save that space 😊👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

No, but it means I could get rid of the wah, so I'll save that space 😊👌

Yup, that's fair! 

Worth just checking the manual to give yourself an idea of what the Zoom wah is going to bring to the party. 

I had the X version briefly but didn't feel the wah pedal did that much extra and I quite like having a separate wah for use with other pedals - the Zoom wah will only be available for the Zoom multi, but maybe that's all you want to use it for?

And tbf I'm not sure that the standard B1-4 pedal can be used with a separate wah anyway.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

B1x Four (I've a B1xOn..)

Build a Patch (or 2.. or 3!) Per Song

Label them, and put em in set order...

ToneLib Or Zoom Software

Could do the lot... and strait to desk but via 1/4" Jack not XLR...

That's a good shout, but I do also have a tendency to click effects on as the mood takes me. I could easily put my few most common ones on consecutive patches though. Our set list tends to vary regularly (often during a set 😅), so I don't think I could be arsed with that.

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup, that's fair! 

Worth just checking the manual to give yourself an idea of what the Zoom wah is going to bring to the party. 

I had the X version briefly but didn't feel the wah pedal did that much extra and I quite like having a separate wah for use with other pedals - the Zoom wah will only be available for the Zoom multi, but maybe that's all you want to use it for?

And tbf I'm not sure that the standard B1-4 pedal can be used with a separate wah anyway.

Yeah very true, I like using the wah with other effects too.

Think I'm going to have another re-jig with what I've got this weekend and see where I end up. I could take the power bar off there to make some space, although it irritates me having it separate.

Thanks for all the help 🙏

20 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

B1on/x and B1 Four/x.. Stomp mode is a pain and not something i'd consider for live...

10 Banks of 10 patches to scroll thru is where it's at

+1 ^^

But 5 banks of 10 patches, right?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

+1 ^^

But 5 banks of 10 patches, right?

Ah... the B1Four has (Only!...) 5 Banks of 10 Patches... So 50 Sound Profiles - Loads...

The older B1on has 10 Banks (A-J) of 10 Patches (0-9) and each Patch can contain upto 5 'Elements' - Effects or an Amp Sim... So 100 different  'Sound Profiles'

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

If you're happy with the pedals, would it be worth looking at a board that is a different configuration? That looks pretty square and maybe not helping the layout. 

Yeah I did think about that, but then boards are quite expensive, and I guess it's not too small as such, just awkward as you rightly say.

Maybe my next DIY project.... 😏

On 19/01/2024 at 21:17, TRBboy said:

Yeah I did think about that, but then boards are quite expensive, and I guess it's not too small as such, just awkward as you rightly say.

Maybe my next DIY project.... 😏

Look at the Harley Benton spaceships, they're fantastic and cheap! You could mount a power pack underneath too. Personally, though I know a lot of people love the Zoom gear, I just don't rate the sounds but probably because I don't have the patience to work on them to get them precise, give me a box with an on/ off stomp and three dials and I know where I am. You've got some good individual pedals on there without the Zoom, are you not tempted to build up your board with individual pedals?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Look at the Harley Benton spaceships, they're fantastic and cheap! You could mount a power pack underneath too.

I upgraded my main board to a spaceship power 50C which has the power pack built in and is powered via a kettle style power lead. I really like it and don't think there's anything similar on the market that touches it for the cost.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Hey everybody! Sorry to resurrect this one, but I thought it better than starting a new thread.

I'm back around to completely reconsidering my effects (mainly after trying out an HX Stomp on Saturday!). I'm not a heavy effects user, so I'm not sure I need a top of the line modelling jobby, so I'm back around to thinking about zoom.... This time the B1 Four, which I know several of you recommended to me before. Mainly, I think the Darkglass sound would be really useful to me.

Question I've got, is how does the QUALITY of the effects in the B1 Four compare to my aging B3? Are they as good, or lower quality because it's a cheaper pedal?

Thanks! 😊👍

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

The B7K sim on the B1-4 is pretty good, particularly with a bit of bass EQ boost which you can add pretty easily, to counter low-end scoop inherent in the sim. 

I've got my eye on the (hopefully!) soon to be released MS-60B Plus, particularly if it has an upgraded chip set but no confirmation that's going to be the case yet. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The B7K sim on the B1-4 is pretty good, particularly with a bit of bass EQ boost which you can add pretty easily, to counter low-end scoop inherent in the sim. 

I've got my eye on the (hopefully!) soon to be released MS-60B Plus, particularly if it has an upgraded chip set but no confirmation that's going to be the case yet. 

Ooh that sounds interesting! Will have to Google that. 

I've always loved Darkglass distortion, but I'm too tight to pay that much for a single pedal! 😅 It was this video that really piqued my interest in the B1 Four again:

https://youtu.be/VQb1D7MBmqk?si=Xq2KnChtYM3jtk5g

• Like 2

I mean the Zoom B1-4 is such a ridiculously good value pedal anyway - so feature laden. And if you have a key effect that you love like the B3K/7K it does well - well go for it!

Worst case you pick one up for £50 used and sell it for £45 plus P&P... I've got one on my PB and another as a stand alone multi-fx tuner I can pop into my gig bag when I'm travelling light.

• Like 3