Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky M5-24 modification

E sharp

Hi all . 

Just throwing out the idea of a third pickup in a M5-24 . 

They're the 'P2 Bartolini' sized Sadowsky branded pickups. 

Was thinking about getting a third squeezed into the gap . The front would have to be moved forward by a few millimetres to enable this . 

The middle pickup would then be in the MM position pretty much I guess . Either leave the Pan pot as it is , fit a 5 way one , or the Dingwall aftermarket 5 way one . 

Has anyone on here done this , know anyone who has , or been thinking of doing the same?

Paul

I’m in two minds about it. 
But then again why do owners of Dingwall NG2s ruin them by fitting a third pickup, making them an NG3? 

I was just wondering if anyone had done it really, and not sure if I will or not. I doubt I’m the only owner of one who hasn’t thought about it. 
I asked the same question over on Talkbass, but not had a reply- I’m not in their click on that site. 

12 hours ago, E sharp said:

But then again why do owners of Dingwall NG2s ruin them by fitting a third pickup, making them an NG3? 

The NG2's have the 3rd pickup placement already routed under the pickguard by default. If you want to turn them into a NG3 you need to have a 3rd pickup and a different (NG3) pickuguard and some soldering, that's it., no ruining needed. 

I didn’t mean ruin as such. It was just that it was implied that by fitting a third pickup was ruining a bass. Yet it’s common practice with Dingwalls. Was common practice with P basses- adding a J at the bridge, before it was offered by Fender. Also I knew more than one person who added a second pickup on their Stingrays in the 80’s, were told it was heresy, then Musicman offered the same opinion years later. 

I wasn’t intending for this to be a Talkbass flame war thread - just merely putting out the question about whether anyone had done it, or given it a thought. That’s all.

Paul

Fair enough. 

Back to the original post - I've had a couple of US and Japan Sadowskys in the past and I generally follow the brand, on forums and Fb groups too but I can't recall ever seing anybody doing that particular mod to their S's. 

In my opinion - FWIW- it is you bass and do what brings you closer to the tone you wnna hear then it is all good.  I've certainly done mods and refins to my basses that were acquired taste for some but I was (still am) happy with them. 

I just commented on the Dingwalls as they are a bit different in this respect having been prepared for such mod already. 

12 minutes ago, chris_b said:

IMO adding a non-Sadowsky pickup might work against the existing pickups and you'll end up with less rather than more.

Yes, that’s what I thought too. 
I’ve read a fair bit up on the pickups, and seems that sticking Nordstrands in, is a common thing- maybe Fat Stacks. 
Thus making a great bass, maybe better/different, depending on what you’re after. 
That was something I’d looked into, and just had a crazy idea of adding a third into the mix, that’s all. 
Contacted Nordstrand direct, to float the idea, with regard to whether the middle pickup would need to be a ‘neck or bridge’ one. They said bridge for the middle. 
I was just throwing the question/idea out really. 

• Like 1

Sounds interesting enough!

If you end up not liking the result, you can always have a custom ramp made with the dimensions of your third pickup, and mount it with pickup height adjustment screws to adjust to the height of your pickups. If you refrain from making any additional holes in the bass until you're sure you like the new tones the new pickup config offers, you can keep the "damage" to the bass limited and it leaves you with an option to refill the hole. 

Edited by LeftyJ