Hopefully not widdle -merchant Brian may

i bought an amp

BUT

A) I don’t have one 

b) it’s small

c) it was cheap 

i scored a tc electronic bh250 for £135

so I hope to get a “mind how you go” father ted style pass 

Nice score.  You're out ;)  Not that I knew you were in - did I miss your initial pledge?

image.thumb.png.19baa3fed88d9ed38c006e6b8da53044.png

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

May has been a quiet month - well done to all.  Main news I guess is my own downfall, all over the heads of a £40 pedal, oops.

3 more brave soldiers fell in May leaving 25 still standing.

Let's see how June treats us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

May has been a quiet month - well done to all.  Main news I guess is my own downfall, all over the heads of a £40 pedal, oops.

3 more brave soldiers fell in May leaving 25 still standing.

Let's see how June treats us.

Ah I forgot about this, I bought two guitar TAB books off here last month. Do they count as gear?

4 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Ah I forgot about this, I bought two guitar TAB books off here last month. Do they count as gear?

You're all good.  If I may quote the appropriate exclusion in the "rules":

"Educational purchases, ie tutorial books, lessons, anything that furthers your playing is permitted."

Crack on!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gjones said:

Oops I bought a Stingray.....

Full story 

Ha, you've been on the run for a month and a half, you scamp!  Nice way to bow out, great score!

• Haha 3

I think I’m out. Well, I know I am… I bought a new pedalboard power supply at the weekend.  It a need, more a want. It’s going back because it doesn’t bloody work but that’s a moot point.

Also, I may have been discussing bass specs with Mr Cringean again with a view to making things happen there.

I almost made it to 6 months 😂

5 minutes ago, Merton said:

I think I’m out. Well, I know I am… I bought a new pedalboard power supply at the weekend.  It a need, more a want. It’s going back because it doesn’t bloody work but that’s a moot point.

Also, I may have been discussing bass specs with Mr Cringean again with a view to making things happen there.

I dunno, buying something that didn't work and sending it back - does it count?  Sounds like you bought a beer but didn't drink it.  Is a replacement coming?

On 02/06/2024 at 12:16, neepheid said:

You're all good.  If I may quote the appropriate exclusion in the "rules":

"Educational purchases, ie tutorial books, lessons, anything that furthers your playing is permitted."

Crack on!

An amp and cabinet further my playing because I can hear now myself properly.( I didn’t have either before, just a bass)

Therefore I’m golden 

bought a nice tc 2 x 8 cab 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I dunno, buying something that didn't work and sending it back - does it count?  Sounds like you bought a beer but didn't drink it.  Is a replacement coming?

Nope - can’t work out what the replacement will be yet which has annoyed me greatly today 🤣

12 minutes ago, Merton said:

Nope - can’t work out what the replacement will be yet which has annoyed me greatly today 🤣

Well, let us know when the working replacement comes in (whatever it is) and I'll sign you off.  I think you're in limbo land right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Well, let us know when the working replacement comes in (whatever it is) and I'll sign you off.  I think you're in limbo land right now.

@SamIAm has pointed out that I’m a complete tool and didn’t research properly before buying. The PSU I bought will be fine but I need another adaptor first… so I think we can safely say I’m now out 😂

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Geek99 said:

An amp and cabinet further my playing because I can hear now myself properly.( I didn’t have either before, just a bass)

Therefore I’m golden 

bought a nice tc 2 x 8 cab 

That emoticon is not a full Pass @neepheid buying something essential when you have zero already should be allowed 

17 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

That emoticon is not a full Pass @neepheid buying something essential when you have zero already should be allowed 

It's not a pass - why TF would you enter a gear abstinence challenge knowing that you had to buy gear?  That makes zero sense!  Now that you've got all the gear you need, all the best for next year :)

Posted (edited)

I didn’t know. I started the year unable to buy anything (with church mice offering me a loan) and thus a shoo-in but my employer cruelly inflicted overtime on me in April 

as I said to my partner, these are generally necessary, it’s not like I’m buying a second bass of questionable necessity. Her thing is that I buy quality items that last and could be shifted easily if truly needed 

Edited by Geek99

2 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I didn’t know. I started the year unable to buy anything (with church mice offering me a loan) and thus a shoo-in but my employer cruelly inflicted overtime on me in April 

as I said to my partner, these are generally necessary, it’s not like I’m buying a second bass of questionable necessity. Her thing is that I buy quality items that last and good be shifted easily if truly needed 

I'm genuinely pleased for your fortuitous change in circumstances, but gear is gear, this is not an "educational purchase" (the bit you omitted when quoting that sentence) - you know that means books and lessons and stuff.  I'm sure your resolve will be bulletproof next year now that your gear is sorted.

Hey, I'm not the sole arbiter here.  Help me out, I'm not the boss.  Opinions, BC massive?

14 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I'm genuinely pleased for your fortuitous change in circumstances, but gear is gear, this is not an "educational purchase" (the bit you omitted when quoting that sentence) - you know that means books and lessons and stuff.  I'm sure your resolve will be bulletproof next year now that your gear is sorted.

Hey, I'm not the sole arbiter here.  Help me out, I'm not the boss.  Opinions, BC massive?

Morning to yoos all.

This is a murky one indeedy. I had a bass made by CBS Arbiter once - awful thing it was.

If someone had a bass with no strings, but bought a set in order to be 'heard', I'd assume that would be allowed? Someone without an amplifier, buying one in order to be 'heard', seems reasonable to me, as long as there is not a earlier amplifier lying under the bed or suchlike, having been discarded due to said 'new amp arrival'. Having said that, it does seem odd to enter this thread, knowing that your collection of equipment was incomplete and therefor, not fit for purpose? Were the decision mine, I'd let Geek99 remain. If it comes down to a duel, baggsie I'll be Neep's second and grab all his gear once he's potted. 😁

I'm pretty sure @Geek99 must have owned an amp at some point.

If he has previously sold it to keep the wolf from the door (or the enforcers from the church mice loan company at bay), but is now able to replace it and eat as well then 

I say he is out, but would allow him to remain in, prioritising mercy over justice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Merton said:

Was it a replacement for an unrepairable power supply? 

Allowances in both tiers:
- Strings (sticks, skins, reeds ........ 

- If something breaks through no unusual intervention of your own, and is unable to be repaired, you may replace it.

19 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Was it a replacement for an unrepairable power supply? 

Allowances in both tiers:
- Strings (sticks, skins, reeds ........ 

- If something breaks through no unusual intervention of your own, and is unable to be repaired, you may replace it.

Nope, purely vanity and wanting one PSU for my board rather than separate ones for the wireless and HX Effects 😅

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

Morning to yoos all.

This is a murky one indeedy. I had a bass made by CBS Arbiter once - awful thing it was.

If someone had a bass with no strings, but bought a set in order to be 'heard', I'd assume that would be allowed? Someone without an amplifier, buying one in order to be 'heard', seems reasonable to me, as long as there is not a earlier amplifier lying under the bed or suchlike, having been discarded due to said 'new amp arrival'. Having said that, it does seem odd to enter this thread, knowing that your collection of equipment was incomplete and therefor, not fit for purpose? Were the decision mine, I'd let Geek99 remain. If it comes down to a duel, baggsie I'll be Neep's second and grab all his gear once he's potted. 😁

Bad example, strings are explicitly allowed in the exemptions.  Try another analogy?