Why become a member? ×

$62K Jaco Jazz Bass

Phill

Just read the all-caps rant, sorry, description on eBay. My knowledge here is limited (as with most things if I'm honest)

I have to say that trying to read, parse and decode the all-caps description is much like trying to understand Donald Trumps late night tantrums on 'Truth Social'. It is English and the words parse at a superficial level, but trying to semantically understand it, is difficult.

So, Fender didn't apply the right epoxy coating to a 1989 reissue of a 1962 jazz bass on a limited run of 100 bass, one of these was sent back as it had a nick and then all hell broke out when somebody found out that Fender cut a few corners (who would have guessed), used lacquer instead of epxoy, and this one bass did then have the epoxy costing applied, so that made it all right and therefore it's  worth 3x the price of a genuine Fender 1962 jazz bass coz it's a good replica of Jaco's bass. The replica (not original) was actually made two years after Jaco's death so has absolutely no connection to him, he never owned it, touched it, thought about it or even knew about it.  It's unique because it's a pink torpedo up.

Have I got it right?

In which case, I'd like to offer my very first 3d printed guitar, its unique, it has never had Jaco look at it, it has numerous cockups, I'm assuming that adds even more value, its not that old and you can have it for $50K, a snip and $20K cheaper than another cockup.

What a world we live in. I have no idea if it's worth $1,000 or $70,000. I'd pay $1,000 for it, would I pay $10K for an 89 Jazz, nah, well I have a 97 Jazz that you can have for $5K and I'll throw in a free case, a couple of plectrums and a "How to play bass" book.

Please tell me that I've misunderstood and that this is really worth $70K.

Rob

• Like 2

I did message the guy on eBay just to ask him who the 'Pro Players' and 'Collectors' were that said this bass was a great investment, and to ask why they'd not snapped it up themselves. He did respond, but with absolutely no real answer to my question, as expected! What did make me chuckle is that he actually signed off with 'Master Bassist' 🤣 

...Master Bator maybe.

• Haha 2

Not heard that joke for a number of years :)

I think the seller is being very generous allowing us the opportunity to pick this bargain bass at only $62K. I'm surprised that there isn't a pack of people rushing to buy.

Damm, just noticed he won't ship to the UK, that's me out then.

Edited by rwillett