Why become a member? ×

A Ric with issues

prowla

I love a Rickenbacker, especially the V63. But it seems 75% of V63s have 'gone banana' (as I like to say) and there's no real way of getting the playability sorted. I had a V63 that I spent a chunk on doing the whole 'wood wedge by the neck and a bit of heating' which didn't solve the problem. 

And yet, those V63s are just off the scale price wise. I always get gas when I see them up for sale but then I get a glimpse of the neck from the side and there it is....'gone banana'

Amusingly, I often see the same issue (due to the horseshoe cavity being so close to the neck) on the outrageously overpriced Squire models. 7K for a banana no thank you very much...

This one has definitely 'gone banana'

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 3

On 26/11/2023 at 11:50, Cairobill said:

I love a Rickenbacker, especially the V63. But it seems 75% of V63s have 'gone banana' (as I like to say) and there's no real way of getting the playability sorted. I had a V63 that I spent a chunk on doing the whole 'wood wedge by the neck and a bit of heating' which didn't solve the problem. 

And yet, those V63s are just off the scale price wise. I always get gas when I see them up for sale but then I get a glimpse of the neck from the side and there it is....'gone banana'

Amusingly, I often see the same issue (due to the horseshoe cavity being so close to the neck) on the outrageously overpriced Squire models. 7K for a banana no thank you very much...

This one has definitely 'gone banana'

I had a V63 and I drooled over it....except I couldn't get on with the baseball bat neck, so it went. The neck was ok. The swimming pool behind the neck is not good for those basses.

And, yes, their prices are nuts right now, and most of them appear to be in Japan.

5 hours ago, prowla said:

The wing separation suggests there's more to it.

Yep, classic banana-neck. String tension pulls the neck forward, the big neck p/u route being a natural weak point, the adhesive holding the wings to the centre starts to fail, making it weaker, and the whole thing bows so much you could shoot an arrow with the result.

• Like 2