Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Three10 Teaser: Anybody Know More?

Obrienp

Idly looking at the “Using Multiple 10CR Cabs” advice on the Barefaced website, I noticed a section about forthcoming new variants in November 23. The 4 ohm 4x10 has arrived but the teaser regarding a Three10 hasn’t been delivered yet (you can’t order it anyway). Does anybody know more?

Is there any inherent advantage/disadvantage to a 3 speaker in one cabinet configuration, or is it just that it can handle more power than a Two10 and less than a Four10? All things being equal, it sounds like an attractive proposition to me. More power handling and headroom for my 500 watt amp in a package that is still quite portable for an old fella (the Four10 is just a bit too big and heavy for me). It would be interesting to know what the form factor will be. I am kind of hoping that it will be three speakers in a tower, so that the top speaker is nearer ear level but I appreciate there might be good audio engineering reasons to have a different layout.

I’m also hoping the price is going to be closer to the Two10 than the Four10!

Anyway, anybody got more information?

I know that Alex has said multiple times that the 10" bf speaker, and the whole concept of their 10" cabs such as the vintage voicing and the half-lowpassing stuff was all designed and conceptualised for the 610. Perhaps a 310 is a better small cabinet than the 2 or 4 because it was designed for 6 to begin with?

Yup,

I asked Alex and this is the reply email:

"Yes, vertical with tiltback wheels and a tweeter. We've had some alternate impedance drivers made to solve the annoying impedance problem! It's not going to be three 10"s in a vertical line, it'll be two above each other and one in the middle off to the side - makes for a much more sensibly shaped cab and still has great dispersion because the middles of the drivers (where the mids/highs come from) aren't side by side. Same height and width as a Super Twin, same depth as a Two10S/Four10/Six10. Same wheels and handles as a Six10. Should be v cool!"

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Yup,

I asked Alex and this is the reply email:

"Yes, vertical with tiltback wheels and a tweeter. We've had some alternate impedance drivers made to solve the annoying impedance problem! It's not going to be three 10"s in a vertical line, it'll be two above each other and one in the middle off to the side - makes for a much more sensibly shaped cab and still has great dispersion because the middles of the drivers (where the mids/highs come from) aren't side by side. Same height and width as a Super Twin, same depth as a Two10S/Four10/Six10. Same wheels and handles as a Six10. Should be v cool!"

Thank you, that is very interesting. I am inferring from the tilt back wheels and tweeter that:

a) it’s going to be a bit heavy (for me);

b) it will take up more space in a cramped gig than the a vertical Two10;

c) it will be closer in price to the Four10 than Two10S, as the tweeter adds £150 to the latter.

It does make me ask, why would you buy this instead of a Super Twin? I guess the answer is the more vintage voicing of the 10CR speakers but then there will be a tweeter on the Three10.

• Like 1

I suspect the tweeter will be optional as with all the other cabs. When I asked him, I did specifically ask if a tweeter version would be available.

I would expect the weight to be between the two10 and the 410.

The Super Twin is about 17-18kg depending on metal or cloth grill so it's not heavy, but it's still more than I'd want to carry when wheels are an option. Alex puts wheels on all the taller cabs - ST/BT3/610 etc etc as they are just easier to move.

It will be same width as the Super Twin but have a smaller depth as per the Two10. The dimensions for those are on the website.

I've had a Super Twin and 10CR cabs and I much prefer the tone of the 10CR cabs compared to the 12 inch cones.

I currently have a One10T and a One10. I'd prefer a single unit on wheels.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Thank you, that is very interesting. I am inferring from the tilt back wheels and tweeter that:

a) it’s going to be a bit heavy (for me);

b) it will take up more space in a cramped gig than the a vertical Two10;

c) it will be closer in price to the Four10 than Two10S, as the tweeter adds £150 to the latter.

It does make me ask, why would you buy this instead of a Super Twin? I guess the answer is the more vintage voicing of the 10CR speakers but then there will be a tweeter on the Three10.

Sounds like the tweeter will be optional on the Three10 as it is with the other 10CR cabs though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I suspect the tweeter will be optional as with all the other cabs. When I asked him, I did specifically ask if a tweeter version would be available.

I would expect the weight to be between the two10 and the 410.

The Super Twin is about 17-18kg depending on metal or cloth grill so it's not heavy, but it's still more than I'd want to carry when wheels are an option. Alex puts wheels on all the taller cabs - ST/BT3/610 etc etc as they are just easier to move.

Good if the tweeter is optional. That will help keep the price down a bit for those of us who are happy with the 10CR sound.

WRT weight: it’s odd but I can easily manage a couple of 17.5 Kg dumbbells down the gym but spread the 17-18 Kg into  a largish box and it becomes much less manageable. However, wheels will be a definite plus in most situations, except the venues only reached by 3+ flights of narrow steps.

Let’s see how it turns out when Alex releases it. I don’t think he will have any trouble selling it, so we can expect quite a lead time for orders.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that folks. Unfortunately, too heavy for me I think. It’s heavier than a super twin.

Did they put prices up across the board? I am sure the Two10 was £699 in basic trim the other day (I have been thinking about getting another for a while).

45 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Thanks for posting that folks. Unfortunately, too heavy for me I think. It’s heavier than a super twin.

Did they put prices up across the board? I am sure the Two10 was £699 in basic trim the other day (I have been thinking about getting another for a while).

They may have, I think the Two10S was £750 the last time I looked but I could be mistaken. Inflation's a pain in any event.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Looking good, Alex.

Too heavy for my poor old back. I need all my speakers in the smallest package I can find, but looks like a great cab for many bassists.

I agree. I am sure they will have no problem selling these but at only a couple of kilos lighter than a Four10, you may as well go the full hog (if you can afford it). I was hoping it would come in around the weight of the super twin ☹️. I guess that was being over optimistic.

I was thinking of going for another Two10 instead but I am sure BF have put the base price up by £100 in the last couple of days. I priced up a Two10 ST with silver cloth for £869 the other day. Now it’s £969. I was waiting to see how the Three10 came out. Oh well! Maybe it is worth having a go at the Loto!

I would never buy the Four10 because the shape of it is too annoying for me. And it doesn't have wheels, and Alex doesn't like to fit them as it means strengthening the bottom and making it heavier.

The Three10 is still a very light cab in the grand scheme of things, but more importantly, it's on wheels and it will fit through more doors and narrow corridors.

It might only be a couple of kilos lower than the Four10, but it will be much much easier to live with.

Even the height is better as it means less bending over to pull it on the wheels.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I would never buy the Four10 because the shape of it is too annoying for me. And it doesn't have wheels, and Alex doesn't like to fit them as it means strengthening the bottom and making it heavier.

The Three10 is still a very light cab in the grand scheme of things, but more importantly, it's on wheels and it will fit through more doors and narrow corridors.

It might only be a couple of kilos lower than the Four10, but it will be much much easier to live with.

Even the height is better as it means less bending over to pull it on the wheels.

I take your points and for many that would make it a better choice. My trouble would be lifting it in and out of the car, or up steps, without upsetting my back. The funny thing is, I can just about manage a 25 Kg kettle bell but spread that weight (or there abouts) into a big box and it becomes hard. For that reason I couldn’t consider the Four10 either.

I am going to have to stick with a second Two10, if I can ever afford it. At 13 Kg for the cloth front that is a comfortable lift in, even though I would probably have to do the both in two trips.

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The port location doesn't matter. Dispersion of sound waves from ports, and from the cones as well below roughly 250Hz, is omnidirectional.

I’m thinking of those boomy makeshift stages that like to ‘resonate with the cabs and drums 🥴