Why become a member? ×

What makes “your sound”?

Lozz196

On 14/11/2023 at 15:46, Dad3353 said:

Most equipment from the '60s onward is 'excellent', and capable of properly reproducing most sounds from most fingers. ;)

Most equipment was poor that’s why you had to use fingers to get some semblance of what sound preferred 

Hence sound in fingers is easier and more accurate with better equipment not just any old equipment IMHO and IME

22 minutes ago, Nebadon2000 said:

Most equipment was poor that’s why you had to use fingers to get some semblance of what sound preferred 

Hence sound in fingers is easier and more accurate with better equipment not just any old equipment IMHO and IME

Great sounds were being made before, during and after modern gear became available, and will always be made, as long as there are fingers and ears to make 'em, in my opinion and experience. :rWNVV2D:

31 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

My most important part of my sound is my Two Notes Le Bass preamp. I run it in to my effects return to bypass the Orange preamp. It gives me such a punchy and big sound.

As I stated earlier I do the same with my NUX Melvin Lee Davis preamp, and though it is digital I do run a tube preamp stage both before and after it, as respectively the very first thing, after the bass and a buffer, and as the very last things before the amp's Return poweramp input of the Effects Loop of a Peavey guitar combo amp with the build in 12" guitar speaker unit disconnected and hooked up to a FRFR 15" + 1.7" PA speaker instead.

But come to think of it, a big part of my tone actually is in my fingers, as I more so stroke the strings, in a slight inward slapping motion, rather than striking, plucking or pulling the strings.

Though that is interchangeably combined with flamenco style guitar index and/or middle finger flicking technique, classical guitar style finger picking technique, and double thumbing.

And I do sometimes use a pick too, either a Wedgie Soft 3.1mm rubber pick, or a Dunlop Tortex .60mm one.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Great sounds were being made before, during and after modern gear became available, and will always be made, as long as there are fingers and ears to make 'em, in my opinion and experience. :rWNVV2D:

Yes I know; been playing since '75 had Ampeg SVT, Trace Elliot, SWR all great Amps in their own way; was just being antagonistic[aka jerk] but I did like my fingers sound with mentioned Amps as opposed to when I was in a situation and had to use Old Squire Bass and 1x15 Ampeg Combo Amp

Also very content with my 'Last Dance' Rig Stingray Special, Mesa WD 800 AND SUBWAY 1X15; My old and crooked Fingers Sound better than ever😀

12 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As I stated earlier I do the same with my NUX Melvin Lee Davis preamp, and though it is digital I do run a tube preamp stage both before and after it, as respectively the very first thing, after the bass and a buffer, and as the very last things before the amp's Return poweramp input of the Effects Loop of a Peavey guitar combo amp with the build in 12" guitar speaker unit disconnected and hooked up to a FRFR 15" + 1.7" PA speaker instead.

But come to think of it, a big part of my tone actually is in my fingers, as I more so stroke the strings, in a slight inward slapping motion, rather than striking, plucking or pulling the strings.

Though that is interchangeably combined with flamenco style guitar index and/or middle finger flicking technique, classical guitar style finger picking technique, and double thumbing.

And I do sometimes use a pick too, either a Wedgie Soft 3.1mm rubber pick, or a Dunlop Tortex .60mm one.

I think for me the picking style is much less a part of my sound. I play some songs with a pick and some without depending on how I prefer to play, I hit pretty hard with both so attack is pretty much the same.