Why become a member? ×

New stage clothes

police squad

I was always of the opinion that as a band, you should look different to the people you are playing to. I am referring to pub/club gigs here and I think you shouldn't look as if you'd just walked in as a punter. 

In the function band it was always black trousers, white and coloured shirt (change half time). A tie (or bow) with the white shirt and I would always wear a waistcoat for the first half as I never found a jacket that I liked. We would always try to be co-ordinated as well. For a very brief stint as a trad rock 'n' roll band, we all got bowling shirts to wear with black jeans. Now I have a black jacket I'm happy with and I'll start the gig off with that and a shirt. It may be paisley patterned or coloured. Depending on the gig I'll also have one or two waistcoats to change into - again usually paisley or coloured - and black shoes. I am looking for The Hat but I'm not a natural hat wearer, so it's proving difficult to know what I really like, and indeed whether a hat is really a good idea. 

LM3A1167.thumb.jpg.6b0e8317d2e4d890662576f2a07d23ee.jpg

DSCG0367.thumb.jpg.26506642f98bff14abd1c32423561245.jpg

DSCG1034.thumb.jpg.a20c4994c7f4a865669c0651a5eea025.jpg

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 1

I bought a pork pie hat (in an actual hat shop) years ago, but it would seem that hats also have an inbuilt imposter syndrome that expensive basses do.  It's taken me a long time to finally feel comfortable to wear it to gigs.  The catalyst was a private birthday party recently, I decided to shake off the awkwardness and wear the hat.  Felt surprisingly right.  So last night I wore it to a pub gig.  Surprise surprise, I wasn't laughed out of the place.  In fact, when playing Smooth Criminal (the Alien Ant Farm version, not the MJ version, although it works in that context too) I had some people referencing the hat and motioning to tip my hat a la MJ.  Obvs a little busy with both hands here to do that, but I appreciated the reference.

I think I'll wear the hat going forward now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dom in Dorset said:

It's amazing what you find in Age Concern IMG_20231125_122001_851.thumb.jpg.61cf45fc0607bc94a8132a1cf1063be2.jpg

Fab, great find!  Although I'd be inclined to match the top and jacket with some black jeans.  Folks would soon tell if there was a tiger in your tank, otherwise. :D 

15 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

on the punk & rock scenes

Both scenes are surprisingly conservative (small c!)... In order to fit in you've got to wear the appropriate uniform. There's a range within that, but at Rebellion, the bloke who gets the most looks is the Belgian geezer who always wears a full business suit and leaps about like a crazy. Full marks to him!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

I bought a pork pie hat (in an actual hat shop) years ago, but it would seem that hats also have an inbuilt imposter syndrome that expensive basses do.  It's taken me a long time to finally feel comfortable to wear it to gigs.  The catalyst was a private birthday party recently, I decided to shake off the awkwardness and wear the hat.  Felt surprisingly right.  So last night I wore it to a pub gig.  Surprise surprise, I wasn't laughed out of the place.  In fact, when playing Smooth Criminal (the Alien Ant Farm version, not the MJ version, although it works in that context too) I had some people referencing the hat and motioning to tip my hat a la MJ.  Obvs a little busy with both hands here to do that, but I appreciated the reference.

I think I'll wear the hat going forward now.

Hats aren't for everybody.  I've always stayed away from hats until recently.  At 70 my hair is thin and hard to manage. A hat makes things easier. 

Now, depending on the nature of a gig I'll wear a cowboy hat. I'm cool with it and I didn’t get any complaints. 

Daryl

IMG_20231015_124854.jpg

• Like 4