Why become a member? ×

Now NBD Harley Benton PB50 info please

police squad

hi folks

what's it like under the pickguard please. Also is the sunburst a 50s sunburst or does it have red in it, like a 60s

Fancy one for my Police tribute which is re-starting in December

As you can see nothing under the pick guard

Great neck too. Nice n chunky

Flats on order

20231114_161005.jpg

Edited by police squad
  • Like 3

I've just sold my PB50....nothing wrong with it, just having a cull and getting down to two, well, three, maybe four...

....to me it's a very traditional sunburst, in a good way. I should add that from what I've seen of Mr Stings single coil bass it's very much on the darker side, those 50s Sunbursts are quite variable ....no scratch plate, yet the Signatures have a white pick guard...?

Don't dismiss the red though, the car based De Pont red was the first Custom Colour that Fender did, but not very Stingy😉

Mine was exceptionally well finished, not just for the money, I mean exceptional.

I just couldn't find any flaws in it. Neck had zero sprout, no high frets, no rough frets.

Neck feels super smooth, unfinished as in not varnished, I like this. Will attain an old played in look if you do the front pads on the car, and then have a noodle... 

Played out the box fine, but I always set my bass up to my taste. 

Took a nice low action, saddles almost on the floor on flats. 😎

Yes, it's a large 50s style neck as they were, but plays like it has a flat radius, I'm a jazz bass man by choice, but had no problem getting around it on the faster funk n disco I play. 

Ditch the OE strings, fit some Harley Benton Value flats for the proper sound. Those Budget Harley Benton strings are brilliant, again, not just good for the, money, both flats and rounds. 

Mine had the later Roswell pick up.

Tuners were unremarkable....which means they were fine, I only ever notice a bad tuner. 

Bass held tune, very stable neck. 

Nice pots, good trim slope on the tone control. 

Unremarkable bridge....

Tone wise, well it's a 4 pole single coil and quite middy/trebly (may surprise a few, thats 50s style single coils) nothing like a Precision, much thinner sound than a P bass split, and thinner than an 8 pole jazz on the neck pup too, not a bad sound, just different, woody even. It needs those flats to get the best from it....did/does Sting use flats? 

For the money it's a no brainer, buy one, if you don't like it, loose a few quid, ain't like dropping a couple of grand on a Fender😉

....mine flew away at £80 on Marketplace to a guy in a 50s/60s band....years of fun, cost me about 1 sheet per month. 

This guy does a great review, Spanish but subtitles. 

Buy one and enjoy.

😎

Edited by iconic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@police squad... STOP...

Been a few HB PB50 Modders about... and does look like a mighty fine 'lil project...

Earlier(?) ones have no routing under the plate, later ones have had a small hole in the top... to make the drilling and wiring easier between pup cavity and control cavity via the hole... shame - or a little sticker? 😉

The burst on the later ones is a paper photo burst over bass wood... some posts pics etc show and describe lots of plastic type sealer... bugger to get off - Red one is meant to be an easier re-fin 

Headstock?.. see page 6 Mike Dirnt - still tempted to tele the head on my P Bitsa...bass heads.pdf

Edited by PaulThePlug

More...

^ I recall a thread where the Headstock was done before the scratchplate was lifted... and hole noticed... so no return, that said it's real little and a sticker, or plastic wood type fill would sort it...

Fingers crossed yours hasn't but not end of world stuff.

Edited by PaulThePlug

5 hours ago, police squad said:

even if its a small hole,

Not all have the hole.

It was absent from my first 4 PB-50's. Present on one from the first run when Thomann switched factory in May 2018, absent from the red left hander bought last year.

Yes, I've owned multiple PB-50s and never felt the need to return a single one. It's been one of the most important basses I've ever bought, had a house full of pretty basses with active EQ, CF/Graphite necks, fancy aftermarket brand pickups/ tuning pegs/bridges etc.

One £78 purchase put an end to that malarkey. 9, soon to be 10, years later, PB-50 still brings a smile to my face 🙂

• Like 7

I’ve pulled the pick guard off my red right (bit unintentionally Nick Cave there) handed Roswell pickup PB-50 this evening, and there are no extra holes in it. No idea when it was made, but the Roswell pickup suggests a more recent build. 

anyone want a white pick guard for a black one? This still has the plastic on it.

• police squad changed the title to Now NBD Harley Benton PB50 info please

I work with a guy who has several HB guitars. I hink, if you get a good one, you become a fan.

I'm going to shim the neck on mine I think. Maybe replace the nut as it looks a bit rough (seems to be cut ok though)

atm it's my office bass and I wasnt there yesterday, so didnt have time to play with it

• Like 1

Just now, MungoBass said:

I had a Fiesta Red one a couple of years ago, excellent basses for very little money. I changed the strings for some Fender flats and it played and sounded great. Reading this thread is making me want to look at the Thomann site.....again!

i have fender flats coming fot it

• Like 2

Today I rolled the fingerboard edges and cut the nut deeper (and it was already pretty good) and it has made an incredible difference.

I do think I need to shim the neck as the screws in the bridge saddles are digging into my hand a bit.

But I've been playing it for about 3 hours today, learning new material and I'm really enjoying it. 

Rolling the finger board was very rewarding actually

• Like 3