Why become a member? ×

5-String Advice

jay42

13 hours ago, NickA said:

I think my 5 string is 18mm at the bridge..same as two of my 4s ....and feels pretty huge.  And then my Warwick has the same string spacing as the Wal, but feels much narrower due to the thinner neck, and a jazz bassy fretless I have is 20mm at the bridge but only 10mm at the nut...that one feels really narrow.  Can people really tell the difference?  Doesn't spacing at the nut and the neck profile also matter?

Both ends matter to me - I had a 5 string that had good (ie, 17.5) spacing at the bridge but felt really wide at the nut, and in the end I just found it a bit tiring to play for a long time, so I ended up not using it, so it got sold. 

19 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Both ends matter to me - I had a 5 string that had good (ie, 17.5) spacing at the bridge but felt really wide at the nut, and in the end I just found it a bit tiring to play for a long time, so I ended up not using it, so it got sold. 

While most of the time the wide string spacing at the bridge will also mean wider string spacing at the nut, this isn't necessarily true as the above shows. Also the bass I've owned that had the widest spacing at the bridge also had the narrowest spacing at the nut, and it was a 5-string. Don't assume anything. If the measurements are important get all of them, as the bridge spacing may only be a part of the story.

Just now, Owen said:

Flash git.

😁. I was trying 5ers out at bass direct ...when the proprietor came up and said "I can tell you're a 4 string player, you're in first position".

Hmm yes.  It's quite a good thing to go 5th fret... only going back to the nut for those sub E notes... but it still does my head in, and I think using the full length of the string sounds better too.