Why become a member? ×

Adagio Pro Flatwound Strings Question?

Linus27

I thinking about trying a new set of flats on one of my basses and see that quite a few people speak highly of Adagio Pro flats. Those who have tried and compared them, would you be able to share how they compare to the following.

I have Rotosound 77 Flats which I love tonally as they are quite punchy and can be bright but are very high tension. I also have LaBella Low Tension Flats which as they say are low tension and much lower tension to the Rotosound 77 Flats but give a warmer, smoother rounder tone.

How do the Adagio Pro flats compare to the Rotosound 77 flats in terms of tension, are they higher or lower tension and if lower, as low as the LaBella Low Tension Flats? Also tonally, are they deep, warm and thumpy or quite balanced and bright?

Any advice really appreciated.

I’ve had a set on one of my jazzes for about 6 or 7 years now, I took a chance on them as they were about £10 at the time, imo they are pretty good strings, I don’t know what tension they are but id say about the same as my labella 760FS and not as low as my LTFs, they are not a bright flat like TIs , more warmer sounding but not dull ,mine have mellowed really well over time and still sound good 

Had a set on a Sandberg recently and replaced them fairly quick. A, D & G pretty good but the E was really dead alongside the other strings - a serious mismatch in sound. These were the 45 -100 flats. Anyone want to try them (free, just post) pm me.

I appreciate they are inexpensive but the one big thing about flats is they last a long time. Personally I think cheap flats are a false economy, and decent ones are an investment.

My own choice is 'bright' flats (D'Add chromes; EB Cobalts) but regardless the sound you want a basic starter is that all 4 strings sound like they belong together. That's what 'set' means.

• Like 1

I Tried a set of the Adagio Flats on one of my p basses, i didnt like the feel or sound of them.

i do prefer the Thomastiks , which i have on a couple of basses, but the Thomastiks are expensive.

i also have basses strung with Elite Detroit Flats and The Maruszczyk Flats which are both mid priced options

they both feel and sound good to me.

out of interest has anyone tried the Mark bass Flats?