Why become a member? ×

Rock Summer Schools for 'Vintage' Musicians ?

RhythmJunky

Hi,

I'm looking for a UK rock based summer school of around 4 or 5 days, that's aimed at....shall we say...the more 'vintage' crowd? 

I've looked at the BIMM courses etc, and they look perfect, but the average age seems to be around 18 or so. I was in touch with them today and they said that they don't do any courses aimed at the older demographic. 

Whilst I don't have any issues with that, I just think it might be a tad...well...weird..for me to join in as I'm fast approaching retirement age. I'd probably be as old as the rest of the band combined.

I've been playing bass on and off for years and also play keyboards, but have never had the chance to play in a band for a variety of reasons such as work pressure (I used to travel a lot) and availability.

I'd love to gain experience in a group and to be honest the entire concept of playing in public terrifies me. 

Thanks all. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 21:53, RhythmJunky said:

Hi,

I'm looking for a UK rock based summer school of around 4 or 5 days, that's aimed at....shall we say...the more 'vintage' crowd? 

I've looked at the BIMM courses etc, and they look perfect, but the average age seems to be around 18 or so. I was in touch with them today and they said that they don't do any courses aimed at the older demographic. 

Whilst I don't have any issues with that, I just think it might be a tad...well...weird..for me to join in as I'm fast approaching retirement age. I'd probably be as old as the rest of the band combined.

I've been playing bass on and off for years and also play keyboards, but have never had the chance to play in a band for a variety of reasons such as work pressure (I used to travel a lot) and availability.

I'd love to gain experience in a group and to be honest the entire concept of playing in public terrifies me. 

Thanks all. 

Me too. But you get over it once you’ve heard them applaud once 

On 11/10/2023 at 21:53, RhythmJunky said:

Don’t worry about age, it’s music, not sport. It should be a pretty level playing field. If it looks perfect (age notwithstanding) just do it. I’ve had 2 friends who did these kind of things at the Guitar/Bass Institute (I think it was there) and they were both middle aged at the time and both gained a lot from it (they weren’t there at the same time BTW).

The Music Lab (rehearsal rooms, studio and teaching facility) in Hoddesdon has classes for drums, bass and guitar and they put students together in bands for end of season gigs. They have students of all ages and abilities (the drummer I worked with in my last-but-one band studied with them and was well into his forties).

That’s the closest I can think of to what you’re looking for and it seems to be really popular. Of course, it’s no use if you’re not in Hertfordshire but there may be other schools/studios who are running the same sort of thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have rock school UK in Leeds that mostly do 5 day schemes, pkus a gig at a fantastic venue(the wardrobe)for 8-16yr olds in school holidays . They do weekend rock school for adults occasionally too: a couple of my friends just did it, but it's one day of practice in your band then a gig the next day so it's all pretty quick. 

Rather than looking for band things, there may be courses out there for your instrument of choice?

I know a drummer I play with recently did a couple of drum workshop type things organised by Steve White (ex Paul Weller/Style Council).  

I don't think they gig, but they get to sit and practice together over a few days, and learn from some guest pros.  

The drummer I know is in his 50s, and from what I saw of his photos, the age range was nice and varied.

• 4 weeks later...