Why become a member? ×

Assistance required please

Gary Bloomfield

<off_topic on>

There's more of us here than I thought.

The bass in promenade music might well be the most trashed bass they have ever seen. Mild reliccing doesn't come close.  It appears to have been used as either shovel or a pick axe on a building site. However it is an ultra short scale and it actiually makes a nice growl, so seeing if they can make it a bit better and sort the neck out.

<off_topic off>

Anyway, back to the thread.

Rob

46 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Sorry to ruin a good anicdote, but if it was actually a 1.5V battery, it wouldn't matter if it had an entire nuclear reactor power it, it is *still* only 1.5V and would have the same effect as a micro button battery that was 1.5V. the current available is entirely irrelevant until you get up past a certain voltage (around 60v on your skin, less on your tongue).

However, 9V can make a bit of a burn so you don't want to do that for long, a quick swipe past won't hurt too much.

Hmm... Do you remember motorcycle batteries, 6v..? Would you put a spanner across its terminals..? No..? Nor would I, as the spark produced from the mere 6v would be quite intense. The potential is low, but the current flow easily enough to set fire to a bike (how do I know..? That's another story...). An AAA battery, 1.5v, has not enough 'juice' to do much harm, but one cell from a car battery (1.5v...) gives off a very nasty burn when shorted. A saline tongue, to a battery, is just about equivalent to a short circuit, unlike dry skin. If I was cruel, I'd urge you to try the experiment yourself and report back, but my better self recommends that no-one try to 'lick' a battery the size of a brick, whatever the voltage. Just sayin'. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Hmm... Do you remember motorcycle batteries, 6v..? Would you put a spanner across its terminals..? No..? Nor would I,

Of course I wouldn't, but luckily, my toungue isn't made of metal. I should have put a caveat in my post then, no, you shouldn't try it if your body is made of non skin based material

I would also say as a caveat, that I wouldn't put any unknown battery of any type on my toungue, just because the label indicated that it was a certain voltage. Especially not if you have a fully functioning multimeter in the house.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Hmm... Do you remember motorcycle batteries, 6v..? Would you put a spanner across its terminals..? No..? Nor would I, as the spark produced from the mere 6v would be quite intense. The potential is low, but the current flow easily enough to set fire to a bike (how do I know..? That's another story...). An AAA battery, 1.5v, has not enough 'juice' to do much harm, but one cell from a car battery (1.5v...) gives off a very nasty burn when shorted. A saline tongue, to a battery, is just about equivalent to a short circuit, unlike dry skin. If I was cruel, I'd urge you to try the experiment yourself and report back, but my better self recommends that no-one try to 'lick' a battery the size of a brick, whatever the voltage. Just sayin'. :rWNVV2D:

A spanner is a totally different thing to a tongue. You may say that a tongue and a spanner are equivalent, but what empirical evidence do you have? I happen to have here a multimeter, and when held side by side the probes are almost exactly 1cm apart. When placed on my tongue, the resistance varies between 1M7 and 2M2. That's around 2 megohms per cm as an average, meaning a 9V battery would give a current of 4.5uA. So any speculation that a 1.5V battery with an unlimited current source would inflict more than 1/6 the damage of a 9V battery is pure hokum.

Aren't you glad that BC members are willing to put their tongues at risk for the sake of experiment?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

On 09/10/2023 at 18:40, ossyrocks said:

I’ve also done this all my life. There was a rumour circulated years ago that it could put 9v through your brain and kill you, but it was debunked pretty quickly. So, what’s the issue do you think?

Sure those people never heard of electro shock therapy, where typically 70 to 120 volts (some sources even state 180 to 460 volts) is send through your brain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroconvulsive_therapy

Or have tried getting electrocuted because they were stupid with the wall power, with nothing happening other than a shock.

Take much more to kill your brain, also it isn't so much the amount of volt, but rather the amount of ampere that kills you.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

In the interests of BassChat Science I have performed an experiment. 

The resistance of my 10" Adjustable spanner is 0.4Ω

The resistance of 1/4" of my tongue is 153kΩ

I calculate the current through the spanner given a 6v source would be 6/0.4 = 15amps, this would give 90watts of heating. And probably glow like a light bulb!

I calculate the current through my tongue given a 9v source would be 9/153000 = 58μA, that would give 0.5mW of heating. Its well below the 30mA level that could be potentially lethal. 

So similar values to those that @tauzero obtained. 

Edited by TimR

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Take much more to kill your brain, also it isn't so much the amount of volt, but rather the amount of ampere that kills you.

The Wikipedia article points out it's the high skull resistance that lowered the current. If you put that voltage across your body it would destroy your heart. It would certainly kill you if you put the electrodes in your mouth. 

2 hours ago, TimR said:

The Wikipedia article points out it's the high skull resistance that lowered the current. If you put that voltage across your body it would destroy your heart. It would certainly kill you if you put the electrodes in your mouth. 

Source for that claim please?

And as if the electricity only goes across your skull, and your skin and muscles aren't conductive at all...

You do realize people have survived being hit by lightning which is thousands of volts.

And I personal have experience with several times being stupid enough to have been shocked by the 220V from the wall outlet, through my hands, with nothing happening but me getting a serious shock and slam over my fingers.

Also the argument was whether a 9V battery applied to your tongue would kill you.

4 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Source for that claim please?

You do realize people have survived being hit by lightning which is thousands of volts.

And I personal have experience with several times being stupid enough to have been shocked by the 220V from the wall outlet, through my hands, with nothing happening but me getting a serious shock and slam over my fingers.

Not if the current goes through the heart. 

11 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

And jumping from a sufficient high building would kill you too.

Not what we were discussing though, was it?

No we were talking about electricity. 

If it goes directly from one side of your head to the other your brain is protected by the skull having high resistance. You'll just get badly burned skin. 

If it goes directly across your body (and the heart) - you're dead. 

It's why RCDs have to trip at 30mA within a set time. 

You get struck by lightening or get a mains shock, and the path doesn't go across your body you'll probably be lucky and not die immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, TimR said:

No we were talking about electricity. 

If it goes directly from one side of your head to the other your brain is protected by the skull having high resistance. You'll just get badly burned skin. 

If it goes directly across your body (and the heart) - you're dead. 

It's why RCDs have to trip at 30mA within a set time. 

You get struck by lightening or get a mains shock, and the path doesn't go across your body you'll probably be lucky and not die immediately. 

Source for all these claims?

And yes, I have survived from a shock from a wall outlet, 220V here in Denmark, several times, didn't even have to visit the doctor, and it didn't give me burns either, and yes, people have actually survived being struck by lightning.

And how would I and they unless the electricity traveled though their body?

Also we are still discussing whether putting a 9V battery on your tongue would fry your brain and kill you, which all this were arguments against.

No one but you is talking about putting electrodes directly to your heart and shocking it directly with hundreds of Volts.

How many Volts again is it those heart starters, defibrillator, put out, by the way (try look it up in Google)?

On 08/10/2023 at 14:21, Gary Bloomfield said:

Yeah sorry was all plugged in tried speaker to bass then bass to speaker. Usual crackle but when strummed no sound it may be a novice miss or something more sinister 

What is this “strummed” word that you use ? You’re clearly a witch 

• Haha 1

On 08/10/2023 at 14:17, Gary Bloomfield said:

Hi guys pretty new have a ibanez sr 350

With a rumble 25  just came to have a practice turned everything on no sound from speaker note wize  does crackle when you plug in lead but no notes when trying to play  any advice greatly received cheers 

Gary 

Welcome, Gary.

And well done for sorting out your bass.  A replacement battery is cheaper than a new cable, amplifier or bass.  And you will never make that mistake again!

You might want to find a battery tester - and get an idea of what voltage your bass needs before it fails (for my bass, I found that less than 5 volts still works).

Spare batteries are good to have around.  And a screwdriver to open the battery aperture.  You can put that in your case, and probably find room for a foot pedal tuner (Boss TU2 is good), and then you will need a second cable.  The tuner is battery powered, or you can use a power supply. 

And .... as if by magic, you have bought some new kit!!

3 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

Welcome, Gary.

And well done for sorting out your bass.  A replacement battery is cheaper than a new cable, amplifier or bass.  And you will never make that mistake again!

You might want to find a battery tester - and get an idea of what voltage your bass needs before it fails (for my bass, I found that less than 5 volts still works).

Spare batteries are good to have around.  And a screwdriver to open the battery aperture.  You can put that in your case, and probably find room for a foot pedal tuner (Boss TU2 is good), and then you will need a second cable.  The tuner is battery powered, or you can use a power supply. 

And .... as if by magic, you have bought some new kit!!

Don't forget the spare bass, for when the battery runs out mid-song.

• Like 1