Why become a member? ×

Drive pedal recommendations please

jonno1981

Hi hive mind! I want to get a drive pedal that has two switchable levels and flavours of drive. I used to use a trex bass juice that had an on/off and a boost. Something similar but different! Ideally, a preamp that has an on/off, then drive 1 and then drive 2 gain levels would be splendid, but not essential. 

Any recommendations? Seen a Goliath effects desolation which looks the ticket. 

• Like 1

I’m a big fan of the Damnation Audio MBD-2 and NRG Purrer as dual switch drive pedals. The Blackstone Mofset is dual switch and has two different flavours but just isn’t the sound in my head (which is why mine is in the classifieds). JAM’s bass pedals have two switches too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admiralchew said:

I’m a big fan of the Damnation Audio MBD-2 and NRG Purrer as dual switch drive pedals. The Blackstone Mofset is dual switch and has two different flavours but just isn’t the sound in my head (which is why mine is in the classifieds). JAM’s bass pedals have two switches too.

The new MBD-3 looks incredible and has a really nice useable boost. 

• Like 1

As @admiralchew mentioned above, Jam pedals has three drive pedals, which have two gain level foot switches.  The Lucy Dreamer (a tube screamer).  The Rattler (a Rat) and the Red Muck (Muff).  You don't get two flavours as such, just more gain with the second switch engaged.

I've not tried them but Genzler sell a couple of pedals with several different flavours of either overdrive or distortion, depending on which pedal you buy.  One was on sale here but just went.  Bassdirect have new ones.

• Like 1

The Tech21 Steve Harris does everything you require, and it has a tuner.

I have one and it is brilliant, and you can get all sorts of sounds out of it.

v expensive new but I’ve seen them going on eBay for a lot less.

as an aside, the Tech21 stuff doesn’t seem to hold its value that well, even though it’s well build quality stuff

• Like 1

I currently have the Billy Sheehan Deluxe drive (clean and drive + boost) and also a Barefaced Machinist (clean, fuzz and drive). Both excellent pedals but completely different from each other. I previously had a Rodenberg 808 that was great too but worked best stacked with another drive. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately purchasing plans are on hold for a bit as my aquarium needs a new filter and lights. It’s going to consume my disposable income in the short term. 

I’ll come back to this thread and update it once I’ve actually bought something. 😀

I have the Bass Juice too but set very low gain with just a touch of drive but the tone wide open. What about pairing the TRex with another drive pedal. If you like what it does then gain staging with another box might just be the ticket. My mate has been very impressed with the EBS unit mentioned above and I see one on here for £70