Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan P/J set v Aguilar same as

Mike Bungo

Here comes the voice of reason.

For assorted reasons, swapped out a fair few pickups in my time, irrespective of the maker/cost etc, the end result is that all of them sound more or less the same. 

All this nonsense about growl, vintage warmth/aggression can be dialled in from your amp/outboard gear.  Any nuances from pickup to pickup will be lost in a full-band context anyway.  Your listening audience don't give a toot about your pickup choice either!

Go with the cheapest or the ones that suit your visual aesthetic.  Even better, support small makers, like Josi Warman.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Buying the right aftermarket pickup for punk is a detailed and time-consuming process, if you wish to be authentic to the spirit of punk and truly seek to honour the forefathers of the genre. Much chin-stroking consideration lies in your path, as it did theirs.

...and sometimes there were still a few unsatisfied customers!

PunkPickups.png.3c893549cf62d14f65744d3deb36d59b.png

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, sandy_r said:

...and sometimes there were still a few unsatisfied customers!

That bass currently resides in the Museum of London. It's described as "iconic". A bit pathetic, imho. The photo of Simonon smashing it calls to mind little Timmy having a tantrum because his mum said he couldn't have any sweets.

Edited by Dan Dare

12 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

For assorted reasons, swapped out a fair few pickups in my time, irrespective of the maker/cost etc, the end result is that all of them sound more or less the same. 

All this nonsense about growl, vintage warmth/aggression can be dialled in from your amp/outboard gear.  Any nuances from pickup to pickup will be lost in a full-band context anyway.  Your listening audience don't give a toot about your pickup choice either!

Go with the cheapest or the ones that suit your visual aesthetic.  Even better, support small makers, like Josi Warman.

To quote Peep Show:

"Do you have to live quite so relentlessly in the real world?"

It's a fair point though...

1 hour ago, goonerjoe said:

To quote Peep Show:

"Do you have to live quite so relentlessly in the real world?"

It's a fair point though...

The colloquial 'we' spend an absolute fortune on 'improvements' on instruments; bridges, machines, pickups, preamps, nonsense about 'tonewoods', neck materials, frets.  And so on.  We worry about neck profiles and width of nuts.  Poly/nitro finishes.

Years ago, owned a Mustang bass.  To my delight, under the chrome pickup cover was a Stratocaster pickup.  It sounded perfectly fine.  This my friends was a turning point for me where aftermarket upgrades are concerned. 

The only reason to replace any hardware is if it's broken, missing or doesn't work properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The colloquial 'we' spend an absolute fortune on 'improvements' on instruments; bridges, machines, pickups, preamps, nonsense about 'tonewoods', neck materials, frets.  And so on.  We worry about neck profiles and width of nuts.  Poly/nitro finishes.

Years ago, owned a Mustang bass.  To my delight, under the chrome pickup cover was a Stratocaster pickup.  It sounded perfectly fine.  This my friends was a turning point for me where aftermarket upgrades are concerned. 

The only reason to replace any hardware is if it's broken, missing or doesn't work properly.

Word ^^^^

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I’ve just got in from a Black Stone Cherry gig. The guitarists used various guitars, Gretsch, PRS, Fender, Gibson, the bassist used Stingrays and various different types of Fenders.

The band sounded pretty much the same throughout. 

So if a band sounds the same with different brands of instruments then yes, very unlikely that different bridges or pickups would be noticeable at that volume. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve just got in from a Black Stone Cherry gig. The guitarists used various guitars, Gretsch, PRS, Fender, Gibson, the bassist used Stingrays and various different types of Fenders.

The band sounded pretty much the same throughout. 

So if a band sounds the same with different brands of instruments then yes, very unlikely that different bridges or pickups would be noticeable at that volume. 

It's a case of look-at-me syndrome.  We're all guilty of it.

I suppose it's all about how we're wired; I've never really been the type of person who has any desire to follow the pack insofar as instrument choice goes, but I do like to use well set up instruments that look good. 

Knowing how you want to sound is the primary thing, a very high percentage of [your] tone comes from amplifier and outboard kit, not the guitar itself.

On 28/09/2023 at 22:26, Raslee said:

What model SD’s ? The Aguilar P’s are awesome, but with a bit more vintage warmth YMMV

Gone with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. I have a Nate Mendel and just found out this is what is fitted on that bass and it sounds ace

• Like 1

On 29/09/2023 at 07:37, NancyJohnson said:

Ban this sick filth!!!!

Not wrong though. 

• Haha 1