Why become a member? ×

A Flock Of Seagulls!

spongebob

I went to see them on Sunday night.

Not my regular taste, but I'll admit I really enjoyed it. Mainman Mike (used to have that hair) has got a great American band with him. Super tight.

Waited around afterwards, we were the last two still there...he came out for a chat, pics...really cool.

The bassist, Pando, has I believe been with him for a while. My sole gripe...the bass tone! Wooly, no definition. Nice T-bird type bass....but with a smiley face EQ! And I did get one of the picks he threw out! 

But a fab night, and a really good watch. 

20230924_215948.jpg

20230924_210530.jpg

20230924_215954.jpg

20230924_213418.jpg

• Like 1

Played a gig in chester one evening and Paul Reynolds was present , the landlord asked if he could join us for a tune , we played Dakota and Paul was going mental on rhythm guitar’s 12 string , it was painful for Ian, watching his guitar being thraped , but it was all in good order after the event. A bit surreal nevertheless ! 

For me A Flock Of Seagulls represent everything that was bad about early 80s music. They came across as wannabes who hadn't quite "got it" and were trying just a little too hard. Also my appreciation of them wasn't helped by the fact that they always seemed to be popping up unannounced as support for bands that I did like. during 1981 and 1982 I must have had the misfortune to see them play on at least 5 separate occasions. Buying onto all these tours was obviously a winning strategy for their record label because eventually they had a couple of hits. Unlike several of their contemporaries I haven't come to appreciate their music in retrospect.