Why become a member? ×

Hello from the American Southwest

Mustang11b35d

I'm Jess, and I'm from Sierra Vista, Arizona, US. I retired from the US Army 8 years ago and have been privileged to live or at least spend considerable time in many places. I do a little jazz/blues gigging with my guitar (I also sing) and play bass (also sing, acoustic guitar, and electric guitar) in my church worship band. I've only been playing bass for about a year, and I absolutely love it, but I have a great deal to learn. I look forward to learning from all of you.

Oh, and "Mustang" is an American military term for an enlisted soldier who becomes an officer. I was an enlisted Infantryman, then became an Intelligence Officer. Now I'm a very happy civilian.

1 hour ago, Mustang11b35d said:

I'm Jess, and I'm from Sierra Vista, Arizona, US. I retired from the US Army 8 years ago and have been privileged to live or at least spend considerable time in many places. I do a little jazz/blues gigging with my guitar (I also sing) and play bass (also sing, acoustic guitar, and electric guitar) in my church worship band. I've only been playing bass for about a year, and I absolutely love it, but I have a great deal to learn. I look forward to learning from all of you.

Oh, and "Mustang" is an American military term for an enlisted soldier who becomes an officer. I was an enlisted Infantryman, then became an Intelligence Officer. Now I'm a very happy civilian.

I did not know that last fact, we do have a word for it also, though it escapes me at present. We have lots of Americans on here 

Welcome aboard, sir! I now have a whole new interpretation of the lyrics to Mustang Sally.  😁

Lots of church bassists on here, there's a Playing in Church thread specially. You'll find the UK scene a little different to the US, but we all still moan about the worship lead changing the keys of songs...

18 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I did not know that last fact, we do have a word for it also, though it escapes me at present. We have lots of Americans on here 

I know there’s “a battlefield commission” but there is a word for it off the battlefield too

Welcome!

There seems to be a couple of just about everything here , and I do say that in a good way. I think most anybody can easily settle in and get comfy.
I’ve been fascinated by gear that’s commonplace in Europe and the UK but has little presence in North America. So it’s wonderful to have some insight into other’s experience. 

I’ve found this site to be wonderful resource.

On 20/09/2023 at 18:01, msb said:

There seems to be a couple of just about everything here , and I do say that in a good way. I think most anybody can easily settle in and get comfy.

We're an accommodating bunch. There are even a few lead guitarists here too. They're the shy ones at the back, by the way.  😉

• Like 1