Why become a member? ×

Zoom 16 track hard disk recorder

Born 2B Mild

Just found this being advertised for £399 at PMT [url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/index.asp?oid=2677"]http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/index.asp?oid=2677[/url]

I've searched around Basschat, but can't find a previous reference. I was hoping someone might say if they're worth buying.

Full spec on [url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/hd16_8/index.php"]http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/hd16_8/index.php[/url]

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='481427' date='May 6 2009, 09:27 PM'][url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug07/articles/zoom_hd16.htm"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug07/articles/zoom_hd16.htm[/url]

They did a review last year and said some good things.

G[/quote]
That's useful, thanks. My googling didn't pick that up :)

They are very good apparently. I had a little Zoom 8 trk and the quality and features for the price were outstanding.

One to avoid is the Fostex MR16, I bought one and returned it when I realised the eq options were pathetic. I now have a Tascam 2488 MkII. It's excellent and you could probably get a s/h near mint one very cheaply as they've just brought out the 2488 Neo.

I've got an MRS-1266 (earlier version of what you're looking at - 12 tracks not 16) - had it a few years now and it's been great.

Managed to get some good results, it has good on-board effects and is pretty intuitive. The learning curve is not too steep and once you master the basics it's easy. Recording is pretty straight forward and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to get to grips with the editing and mixing side of things either.

I would imagine that the newer version has some better components (bigger HD, better connectivity etc) so if the price is within your budget it provides a good alternative to the Computer based approach IMO.

If you've got further specific questions drop me a PM...

Edited by jwbassman

[quote name='jwbassman' post='482876' date='May 8 2009, 12:52 PM']I've got an MRS-1266 (earlier version of what you're looking at - 12 tracks not 16) - had it a few years now and it's been great.

Managed to get some good results, it has good on-board effects and is pretty intuitive. The learning curve is not too steep and once you master the basics it's easy. Recording is pretty straight forward and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to get to grips with the editing and mixing side of things either.

I would imagine that the newer version has some better components (bigger HD, better connectivity etc) so if the price is within your budget it provides a good alternative to the Computer based approach IMO.

If you've got further specific questions drop me a PM...[/quote]
Cheers. I'm thinking of it for my son. I've already got a similar machine ...the Yamaha AW16G, but rather used his own!

i have this. and the recording quality and fx are fantastic. In the past i had a korg costing £1500 and this walks over it. As far as the drums go, i dont use them, as i have other means, but for demos, voclas, guitars if you learn how to use it properly, it is exellent, and as it has mastering, the finished mix sounds great! As an owner i would recomend this. PMT are giving this away, i got one at this price, and very pleased with the results. BAsically, it will not color or change the input, so what you put in will come out as long as levels, fx and conpession is under control.

[quote name='jwbassman' post='482876' date='May 8 2009, 12:52 PM']I've got an MRS-1266 (earlier version of what you're looking at - 12 tracks not 16) -[/quote]

I had an earlier model of that (still got it somewhere!?!) and I really liked it at the time, but once I discovered computer recording that was it! Computer screens as so much more visual and intuitive to the process. My zoom had a window and everything was text, a menu within a menu within a menu etc. Pretty tedious really.

I only really record simple stuff. I bought a secondhand mac powerbook pro which had Garageband installed. Garageband is not only the easiest software EVER to use, it's also a lot of fun, and non-musicians in the family can even make up music just with the drag n drop loops. Added bonus: built in iSight camera also lets you record video.

I really wouldn't want to go back to that sort of thing ......

[quote name='Golchen' post='488690' date='May 15 2009, 11:31 AM']I had an earlier model of that (still got it somewhere!?!) and I really liked it at the time, but once I discovered computer recording that was it! Computer screens as so much more visual and intuitive to the process. My zoom had a window and everything was text, a menu within a menu within a menu etc. Pretty tedious really.

I only really record simple stuff. I bought a secondhand mac powerbook pro which had Garageband installed. Garageband is not only the easiest software EVER to use, it's also a lot of fun, and non-musicians in the family can even make up music just with the drag n drop loops. Added bonus: built in iSight camera also lets you record video.

I really wouldn't want to go back to that sort of thing ......[/quote]

Pc recording is great and this unit can also be a front end for DAW programs, but this is a dedicated recording unit, and unless you have a high speced super quite pc pref not running internet or anything else, and dedicated top notch flat sounding soundcard i would prefer this unit. Pcs have endless gliches and data loss etc, this will not. Of course there is a mac, but they are around £800. TO BE FAIR PC RECORDING is great, with endless possibliltiys, but take an age to set up and keep them running glitch free is not always easy. I have worked in recording studios as an engineer, and the problems that happen using pc recording is awful and sometimes mind blowing to say the least. For no fuss H.Q. recording direct to CD this really takes some beating.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='489140' date='May 15 2009, 05:54 PM']Pc recording is great and this unit can also be a front end for DAW programs, but this is a dedicated recording unit, and unless you have a high speced super quite pc pref not running internet or anything else, and dedicated top notch flat sounding soundcard i would prefer this unit. Pcs have endless gliches and data loss etc, this will not. Of course there is a mac, but they are around £800. TO BE FAIR PC RECORDING is great, with endless possibliltiys, but take an age to set up and keep them running glitch free is not always easy. I have worked in recording studios as an engineer, and the problems that happen using pc recording is awful and sometimes mind blowing to say the least. For no fuss H.Q. recording direct to CD this really takes some beating.[/quote]
I think that's very well put.

I use both PC and hard disc recorder. But for keeping focussed on the music, in a basic record and mix way, I think a dedicated unit like this is just right. And, it gets me out of buying (my son) a new Mac or PC :)

Yep you will not regreat it, but one thing you will see is that the HD16 is a deicated recording PC in the way the unit acts. Also for great mixes monitoring is vital, i recomend Tapco S5's for nearfeild monitors, and beyer dynamic dt990's for headphones. These will give smooth easy and true monitoring throught the record and mix process and at £199 for the s5's and £120 for the 990's they are worth every penny.