Why become a member? ×

Aria STB for a tenner!

Steve1250

Great find for a tenner! 

Well worth doing up a bit, they're actually very nice basses, especially the necks. 

I've got an STB J and P, paid £40 each. The P I gigged solidly for the best part of a year I liked it that much. I did put a Quarter Pound pickup in it but the original was fine really. 

The J has a pair of the Entwistle PBXNs wired with a series switch. Proper J tones with either pickup and a lovely full fat tone when in series, almost P sounding. In fact I used it for rehearsal last week, it holds it's own against some expensive 'real' basses. 

Both have had black pickguards and bridge covers added. 

Arty farty (bad grainy) shot 🙈

Screenshot_20230916_224917_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2fc772943fac35218cfc97e56597fcb5.jpg

Forgot to say that the Jazz was sent to me by courier in a single black bin liner taped shut around the neck with the headstock sticking out. Amazingly No damage, crazy!.

Edited by Maude
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

Great find for a tenner! 

Well worth doing up a bit, they're actually very nice basses, especially the necks. 

I've got an STB J and P, paid £40 each. The P I gigged solidly for the best part of a year I liked it that much. I did put a Quarter Pound pickup in it but the original was fine really. 

The J has a pair of the Entwistle PBXNs wired with a series switch. Proper J tones with either pickup and a lovely full fat tone when in series, almost P sounding. In fact I used it for rehearsal last week, it holds it's own against some expensive 'real' basses. 

Screenshot_20230916_224917_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2fc772943fac35218cfc97e56597fcb5.jpg

Forgot to say that the Jazz was sent to me by courier in a single black bin liner taped shut around the neck with the headstock sticking out. Amazingly No damage, crazy!.

Those look great, much better with the replacement pickguard.

I've been casually looking for a reasonably priced STB DX 5er but you don't see many now

9 hours ago, Maude said:

Great find for a tenner! 

They look great, it's nice to know they're worth a mod or two, the series switch sounds interesting, any link or advice on how to do that?

8 hours ago, Steve1250 said:

They look great, it's nice to know they're worth a mod or two, the series switch sounds interesting, any link or advice on how to do that?

It was a while ago and I can't honestly remember. 

It's simple if you're reasonably hands on though. You just need a switch (DPDT on/off from memory) and find a schematic online. I used a mini toggle switch so had to drill a small hole in the control plate but you can get a push/pull tone knob to switch it from parallel to series. 

If you're not that hands on then contact @KiOgonand he should be able to make you up a new loom including a series switch. You don't even need to be able to solder as he uses solderless terminals. You could have new pots including push/pull to do the switching and all you do is clip your pickup wires to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maude said:

It was a while ago and I can't honestly remember. 

It's simple if you're reasonably hands on though. You just need a switch (DPDT on/off from memory) and find a schematic online. I used a mini toggle switch so had to drill a small hole in the control plate but you can get a push/pull tone knob to switch it from parallel to series. 

If you're not that hands on then contact @KiOgonand he should be able to make you up a new loom including a series switch. You don't even need to be able to solder as he uses solderless terminals. You could have new pots including push/pull to do the switching and all you do is clip your pickup wires to it. 

Great info, thanks

13 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Machine Head(s)?... got a scratchplate as well, if yours don't clean up... Yours for £Postage

Yeah sorry, I was going to post photos of the machine heads but forgot, I think the scratch plate will be ok with a good clean, what colour is the one you've got?

Mine got a set of these...

https://northwestguitars.co.uk/products/4-x-jazz-bass-compatible-tuners-machine-heads-for-left-handed-bass?variant=44714617143570

I found the scratch plate - still got the plastic film on it... pm me your address and i'll stick it in the post...

Edited by PaulThePlug

9 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Mine got a set of these...

https://northwestguitars.co.uk/products/4-x-jazz-bass-compatible-tuners-machine-heads-for-left-handed-bass?variant=44714617143570

I found the scratch plate - still got the plastic film on it... pm me your address and i'll stick it in the post...

Vey kind, thanks. What are those machine heads like? I was looking at the Wilkinson ones at Northwest Guitars but they seem to be short of chrome ones at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite happy with the roadworn bits, it was either that or get it resprayed and I don't think it's worth that kind of money. Scratchplate was courtesy of @PaulThePlug, thanks very much Paul, I've saved the main plate of the bridge, the saddles and the springs, the grub screws and the intonation screws were a bit too rusty to rescue so I've been able to order those from eBay. The pickup covers were rough so I've ordered a couple of those, plus a new set of knobs, just waiting for Northwest Guitars to get a set of machine heads in stock, then I can start putting it all together.

IMG_3020.thumb.jpeg.278e59fc1c1186eba4603349a885391a.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I've rebuilt the bridge now, the saddles cleaned up nicely and I bought new screws and grub screws, also rebuilt the control plate with new pots and knobs. Not sure what to do with the body, I've sanded it down and quite like the matte look so I might finish it with matte lacquer or I might redo it in metallic black with a high gloss lacquer, I've never painted a guitar before though so not sure how well that will go!

IMG_3024.thumb.jpeg.5249cae2fb9f503e8850aed094cda7bf.jpegIMG_3025.thumb.jpeg.69b38b77762da8fa1e6d5cad9830404f.jpeg

• Like 4

Gloss black is often a problem...

I like the idea of flattening to matte with a couple more grades of sandpaper...

Then i'd leave it... even matte lacquer can spot and ripple...

What about the headstock end?

I've had a few decals done via the bay... so much easier than eaterslides... 

7 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Gloss black is often a problem...

I like the idea of flattening to matte with a couple more grades of sandpaper...

Then i'd leave it... even matte lacquer can spot and ripple...

What about the headstock end?

I've had a few decals done via the bay... so much easier than eaterslides... 

Yeah I was going to leave it as it is but just placing the bridge on the body left a scratch that I had to sand out, I think it had a sharp edge or something but it seems very easily marked, I did a bit of sanding on the headstock and it seems to have removed the woodgrain leaving an almost white finish, not sure what's going on there so I'll probably have to paint it now.

Edited by Steve1250

I had a new one of these new in sunburst, tremendous thing, super loud pups, great build fit n finish, ooh back in 2012. 

But this bass made me realise that not all jazzes had jazz necks, was a very P profile, didn't think to check😀

Wouldn't both me now.

Enjoy😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iconic said:

I had a new one of these new in sunburst, tremendous thing, super loud pups, great build fit n finish, ooh back in 2012. 

But this bass made me realise that not all jazzes had jazz necks, was a very P profile, didn't think to check😀

Wouldn't both me now.

Enjoy😎

I quite like the fact that it's got a P style neck, I've got a Kiloton with a jazz neck which is beautiful to play but it's nice to have a bit of variety