Why become a member? ×

40th Anniversary Precision £259 at Thomann!

Frank n funker

On 28/12/2023 at 08:49, BassAdder60 said:

I would estimate a selling price around £200 - £250 

Dont forget online may be offering free shipping too. 

I suspect you are probably right although it will come down to how many individuals are still looking for one. Given that some stores still have them in stock at £399, it shows that the demand for them new at that price is almost non-existant. Even with free delivery and a 12 month to 36 month guarantee; they are not selling. 

And they may have flown off the shelves at Thomann at £259 but how many are actually getting played \ used regularly today? How much of the buying was a fear of missing out on something that was a "bargain" even if it wasn't needed (this thread was a frenzy at the time)?  In the cold light of day, how much would someone pay for one now?

My thoughts, taken with a huge does of salt, @Linus27 - you might just want to see if you can get your money back at roughly £250 - £270 or even push £300 and accept a lower offer if no-one is interested at the higher price? Or you may want to cut your losses and use the funds for something else? Or at those prices, you may decide to keep hold of it. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2023 at 06:05, Gramski said:

And they may have flown off the shelves at Thomann at £259 but how many are actually getting played \ used regularly today? How much of the buying was a fear of missing out on something that was a "bargain" even if it wasn't needed (this thread was a frenzy at the time)?  In the cold light of day, how much would someone pay for one now?

I play my 40th-Anniversary Vintage Jazz more than my $2,000 L2000s, my Reverend Thundergun, and my Epiphone Jack Casady bass.

Bought it for $269.99, not because it was on sale, but because it was one of the best basses in the store that day, definitely better than the Fender Player basses hanging up right next to it. Knowing what I know now, I'd have no problem buying one for the full price.

As for other people supposedly buying them because they were afraid they'd miss out on a bargain, you might be right but I have yet to hear from anyone that would pass up a good bargain when they see it only to buy a similar bass for twice the price simply because it said Fender on the headstock instead of Squier.

Other than that, how many sellers are asking £389 for them? I thought they were unavailable in brick-and-mortar stores other than Guitar Center. 

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I would love it if they still had the white jazz, or even the black P, but luckily the swimming pool green and turdburst finishes keep me safe!

They still have the white jazz!

It would be fascinating to know the in-company perspective on these. It's been widely reported that Fender upped production to cope with post-covid demand and did well but over-produced, hence the reductions.

It does seem that the quality of these Squiers is broadly comparable to at least MIM and maybe entry level MIA Fenders.

It will be interesting to see what prices do in coming years.

I see the Jaguar short scales are selling for a premium of about 50% on the pric new 5 or 6 years ago. That is remarkable for any bass, let alone a Squier, even allowing for the low original price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Nobody will be buying a Squier Classic Vibe / 40th Anniversary for £600 right now. Unless you're very dim. 

Maybe not, but people are buying them for $600 on this side of the Atlantic.

9 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Maybe not, but people are buying them for $600 on this side of the Atlantic.

Are they actually buying them, or is that just the price that's being asked?

• Like 1

Just been told by Thomann that they are expecting these in stock in January 2025! I payed by paypal and they haven't taken the cash so I'm going to leave the order live and see where I am a year down the line, the Thomann person was very sure they would be delivered!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, steviedee said:

Just been told by Thomann that they are expecting these in stock in January 2025! I payed by paypal and they haven't taken the cash so I'm going to leave the order live and see where I am a year down the line, the Thomann person was very sure they would be delivered!

Does that mean Squier is going to start making them again at the end of the year?

5 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

Does that mean Squier is going to start making them again at the end of the year?

I doubt it!

I don’t actually expect to get the bass, but hope springs eternal!

Edited by steviedee
  • Like 1

“We have emailed you yesterday that the bass you ordered should only arrive with us on the 22.01.2025, this was an error by our product management, the year is 2024 and not 2025. So the bass you ordered is now due to arrive with us on the 18th of January 2024. We are sorry for the confusion and the mistake that was made here.”

I’m back in the game! Thank god they emailed me, I almost impulsively bought another bass to replace the 1st one I bought on impulse that was delayed. 😬

• Like 4
  • Haha 4