Why become a member? ×

9v battery conversion

fleabag

I was pondering on using a power pack slipped into a pocket for powering an active bass, instead of using batteries.

So the idea is to convert the battery connector to a Boss style 9v female, then a Boss type 9v male to USB, and then to the power pack.

Would this work or is there some compatibility issues with mA's or voltage or such stuff ?

1:  The 9v battery / 2.1mm female converter

9vcable.jpg.b5f51d1e878cf484939b7169d240b508.jpg

2: Boss type 2.1mm  5v 2000mA   /  USB 2.0

9vcable2.thumb.jpg.0d6b7b1bbed8367ad67f6263a8c0ecf7.jpg

Mi.  16,000ma Power pack / USB

powerpack.jpg.a892b0a73527532975681fcf9becdcec.jpg

The issue is that you'll be trying to power a 9V instrument from a 5V power supply, which is the equivalent of an extremely flat battery. You'd need a power bank with a 9V output on it. I have a feeling that @Smanth found a power bank that does that but I can't find it with a quick search.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Even cheaper if it's correct

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272430194907

That should do the job. It will probably be centre positive which is something to bear in mind with the DC connector to PP3 adaptor. If you have a multimeter it would be advisable to check the polarity is right before applying the power to the bass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

It's a shame the advert doesnt say  one way or the other

Hi

yes, the Ad blurb doesn't mention it but the photo shows that it's centre positive (Red probe to centre, Black to outer, meter reads +9V)

HTH

5to9V-DC-cable-polarity.thumb.png.3665b54a5cd42785f6afb95aa4338c78.png

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1

I expected that adaptor to be centre positive as it's for a variety of purposes and it's Boss who are out of step with the rest of the world with the strange idea of centre negative. It was the other adaptor that I was talking about, that goes from the DC connector to the PP3 clip.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Thanks Sandy - never looked at those, just the ad blurb.  So the 9v battery converter cable to 9v female 2.1mm  ,   that needs to be compatible with 2.1mm 9v pos tip plug

Bear in mind that your PP3 connector has to 'look like' a battery as far as the onboard circuit is concerned, so you want your smaller 'complete' circle stud to be +ve and the larger split stud to be -ve - in other words, you will be inverting the polarity advertised for that PP3 adaptor cable ! (just to complicate matters!)

If you go for the 5 to 9V USB to DC 2.1 barrel jack converter with a centre positive, you would need a PP3 to 2.1 inline socket with centre negative, if such exists (otherwise insert a polarity changer between the 2 cables as tauzero mentions above)

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I expected that adaptor to be centre positive as it's for a variety of purposes and it's Boss who are out of step with the rest of the world with the strange idea of centre negative. It was the other adaptor that I was talking about, that goes from the DC connector to the PP3 clip.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393975851286 will invert the polarity if needed. So you either go

USB 5V to 9V -> DC connector to PP3 clip

or

USB 5V to 9V -> polarity changer -> DC connector to PP3 clip

Yes i did realise but the 9v battery clip converter to 2.1mm female doesnt say it takes pos. tip or neg tip, but that reverse cable in your link

would do the trick !

Ped's link also has the converters but again, they dont list neg or pos

https://myvolts.co.uk/product/22543/9V_Battery_Snap

6 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

Bear in mind that your PP3 connector has to 'look like' a battery as far as the onboard circuit is concerned, so you want your smaller 'complete' circle stud to be +ve and the larger split stud to be -ve - in other words, you will be inverting the polarity advertised for that PP3 adaptor cable ! (just to complicate matters!)

If you go for the 5 to 9V USB to DC 2.1 barrel jack converter with a centre positive, you would need a PP3 to 2.1 inline socket with centre negative, if such exists (otherwise insert a polarity changer between the 2 cables as tauzero mentions above)

Arggghhhh!!   :)

Edited by fleabag

The myvolt adapters are pretty good, I have one. The cheap ebay ones may possibly generate a lot of noise. Bear in mind that any built in pre-amp wouldn't have power conditioning or filtering on the input source like an effects pedal would (why would it, it just comes from a battery), so any noise you generate you will really hear.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Yes i did realise but the 9v battery clip converter to 2.1mm female doesnt say it takes pos. tip or neg tip, but that reverse cable in your link

would do the trick !

Ped's link also has the converters but again, they dont list neg or pos

https://myvolts.co.uk/product/22543/9V_Battery_Snap

Re. Ped's link:-

...found this on the SparkFun site re the polarity: "All SparkFun products use a negative 5.5mm sleeve and a positive 2.1mm pin" ie. centre positive

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The myvolt adapters are pretty good, I have one. The cheap ebay ones may possibly generate a lot of noise. Bear in mind that any built in pre-amp wouldn't have power conditioning or filtering on the input source like an effects pedal would (why would it, it just comes from a battery), so any noise you generate you will really hear.

I'll bear that in mind if go ahead.

Stepping back from the converter/ cable issue for a moment...

Isn't it rather overkill to use a power bank to power an onboard pre?  (as in - why not just use a PP3 with 2 PP3 to 2.1 adaptor cables 1 xMale, 1xFemale)?

or are you going to sneak a 10W Class D amp onboard and plug straight into a bass cab?!?

Concerned minds wish to know 😯

Edited by sandy_r