Why become a member? ×

9v battery conversion

fleabag

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

yeahbut yeahbut...  1 powerbank = approx 50,000 PP3s!

you could add Blackpool Illuminations to yer fretboard and still have power left over to keep yer chips warm!

jus' sayin'

Joking aside, @fleabag, if you really want to try this, the best way might be just to have:

- one PP3 to 2.1mm inline socket adaptor cable connected securely to the guitar (maybe exiting from under a controls or battery backplate?), with only an inch or so of external cable (to minimise 'snagging' when disconnected); you'll need to easily connect/disconnect when picking up/putting down the guitar

- one USB 5 to 9V converter & cable to 2.1mm plug (centre positive);

- have someone safely swap the polarity of the PP3 cable - this might be you, if handy with soldering; or a friend with electronics skills - I would also be happy to do the resoldering for you; the parts are around £1 i think, and cheap to post, so I could buy it (I probably even have the parts already), mod it, and send it on.  Up to you (no bother to me, I'm retired, plenty of free time - but don't tell Mrs R that!)

[An active guitar can also be 'Phantom-powered' down the instrument cable, like a mic. from a mixer;  this would require an electronics mod in the bass and an additional psu/signal splitter box between guitar and pedals/amp - but i get that you want to try the 'pocket-power' setup, so why not?]

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

An active guitar can also be 'Phantom-powered' down the instrument cable, like a mic. from a mixer;  this would require an electronics mod in the bass and an additional psu/signal splitter box between guitar and pedals/amp 

This is how the chapman railboard is powered - it is either passive if there is no power or becomes active if it is phantom powered.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sandy_r said:

Joking aside, @fleabag, if you really want to try this, the best way might be just to have:

- one PP3 to 2.1mm inline socket adaptor cable connected securely to the guitar (maybe exiting from under a controls or battery backplate?), with only an inch or so of external cable (to minimise 'snagging' when disconnected); you'll need to easily connect/disconnect when picking up/putting down the guitar

- one USB 5 to 9V converter & cable to 2.1mm plug (centre positive);

- have someone safely swap the polarity of the PP3 cable - this might be you, if handy with soldering; or a friend with electronics skills - I would also be happy to do the resoldering for you; the parts are around £1 i think, and cheap to post, so I could buy it (I probably even have the parts already), mod it, and send it on.  Up to you (no bother to me, I'm retired, plenty of free time - but don't tell Mrs R that!)

[An active guitar can also be 'Phantom-powered' down the instrument cable, like a mic. from a mixer;  this would require an electronics mod in the bass and an additional psu/signal splitter box between guitar and pedals/amp - but i get that you want to try the 'pocket-power' setup, so why not?]

Thanks Sandy, great offer.  If i decide to go ahead, i'll PM you 

• Like 1