Why become a member? ×

Anyone got any new blues scales i could use for an upcoming jam session

Bongo

Heya lovely folk, I have an upcoming gig session on friday. they tend to play a lot of blues and other chill stuff, ive got a few basic scales but haven't been able to find much more! if any of you know some cool scales please let me know! it would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

When improvising I use:

Root-fifth-b7-octave until I know if its major or minor.

Pentatonic minor

Mixylodian mode

Major scale

Minor scale

Pentatonic major

Chromatic

But with blues you use loads of accidentals e.g. adding b5 to the major or blurring the lines between major and minor.

Most of this just happens automatically, you have to listen wjere the guitar is heading.

Should add the big choice with blues is do you play a riff based line in various positions or a walking line (or some sort of hybrid).

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 3

On 30/08/2023 at 17:47, Bongo said:

Heya lovely folk, I have an upcoming gig session on friday. they tend to play a lot of blues and other chill stuff, ive got a few basic scales but haven't been able to find much more! if any of you know some cool scales please let me know! it would be greatly appreciated!

hey Bongo, sending good wishes for your session today - just play to the vibe - you love music, you'll be fine

make some new friends, learn some new music, have fun!