Why become a member? ×

Do you pay £5500 for a guitar with a Butterfly on the headstock or..

TheGreek

Nah. The head is still in the right place.  It has an appropriate number of strings that are also in the right place. It doesn’t look like it’s been used as a hammer or that a hacksaw has been used to ‘improve’ it.  There are no random holes to indicate the number of attempts to drill something. 

Now of course, this could the sacrificial guitar, the ‘before’ before the after. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rwillett said:

Nah. The head is still in the right place.  It has an appropriate number of strings that are also in the right place. It doesn’t look like it’s been used as a hammer or that a hacksaw has been used to ‘improve’ it.  There are no random holes to indicate the number of attempts to drill something. 

Now of course, this could the sacrificial guitar, the ‘before’ before the after. 

It also doesn't have a Strat neck pickup at an angle and Jazz bridge pickup.

• Sad 1

It certainly beats the naff letter rack I made in wood working class for my mum's birthday when I was about 12. Only four bits of wood and none of them lined up or were jointed properly. She still keeps the bloody thing.

I look at people who can work wood like this with awe and insane jealously.  I was quite competent as a C developer, yet nothing I do, no matter how clever or elegant the code is, no matter what brilliant tricks I perform with pointers, no matter the really nifty way I handle interrupts on a disk driver in the kernel, will ever look as nice as that woodwork. It's simply not fair 😢

Rob

• Like 1

On 01/09/2023 at 13:03, lemmywinks said:

I sorta do want to own an HB BZ-5000 one day, they look very well made.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/F-kAAOSwVyJk2mIl/s-l1600.jpg

I really wish I'd bought one when they came out and they were selling new for about £200. 

I was put off by the horror stories of them weighting about the same as a boat anchor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I really wish I'd bought one when they came out and they were selling new for about £200. 

I was put off by the horror stories of them weighting about the same as a boat anchor. 

Same, also same with those HK clones of Marleaux Consats that were on eBay for around £350 ages ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I'm sorely tempted to post the BZ-5000 pic on a tonewood thread over the water and just ask 'So what does this sound like, then?'

I doubt many there have a clue dark meranti exists let alone what it looks like.

Most revert to default setting, "it's $h*t",  when confronted with an East Asian bass from a brand they've never heard of; especially when said bass retailed for less than Squier money.