Why become a member? ×

How can I stay focused for entire set? Any tips please?

Graffspree

Hello all, I've just joined this site. I gig loads but always make a few mistakes, they are usually due to the fact that I have lost concentration. We often play for about two and a half hours as we're a functions band... Please does anybody have any suggestions for how I can stay focused throughout the entire set? I get really cross with myself if I screw up 'cos my mind has wandered.

Thanks

I think the first thing to identify is are the mistakes on the same songs each time, if so an easy answer to that, put a note/star/asterisk against them on your set list as a reminder of this. From there look at what/where/why it happens on those ones. If however it varies on songs then identifying the actual issue is likely going to be harder.

• Like 1

Does anyone other than people in the band notice?

While playing perfectly is an admirable goal, you (and the rest of the band) need to acknowledge that most of us will mistakes. It's how they get dealt with that sorts the good bands out from the average ones. 

Most of the time unless the mistake is so awful that it brings the whole song to a grinding halt less than 60 seconds after it has started no one in the audience will even know it has happened. So what you need to do is to be able to pickup cleanly as soon as possible after making the mistake and do nothing to make anyone think that anything has gone wrong. Same with the rest of the band. They need to carry on playing as normal. Not look round at the person who has made the mistake. If you all play through it like it didn't happen then there is even less chance that anyone in the audience will have noticed. If you and the band can behave like that it will take the pressure off which is probably a contributing factor to making the mistakes.

And if to eradicate them complete you just need to practice. The old adage goes that you don't practice until you can play something right. You practice until you can't play it wrong. IME this only comes with time. So relax. Play though your (and anyone else in the bands) mistakes and eventually you'll stop making them.

It’s live music so we all make mistakes especially playing for 2.5hrs 

I found I always had one or two songs that my mind went blank at certain parts of a song and so I practice those parts more often 

It’s generally songs that I’m unfamiliar with that trip me up but songs I’ve played for years I generally get them right on the night or enough right that no one notices!! 

I would try relaxing more as that helps with concentration and best advice is listen to the whole band and not just what you are about to play and in the main it will be better. Feel plays a big part I find and a half decent memory too !! Good luck and I’m sure it will improve 

2 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I found I always had one or two songs that my mind went blank at certain parts of a song and so I practice those parts more often

It’s generally songs that I’m unfamiliar with that trip me up but songs I’ve played for years I generally get them right on the night or enough right that no one notices!! 

Keep practicing seems to be the best advice given the above

The boring bit. Also make sure you're staying hydrated (hydration and concentration tend to correlate once you get past a certain level of fatigue), perhaps have a couple of coffees (not energy drinks, sugar can be a double-edge sword) during the set, avoid alcohol, and get enough sleep ahead of the gig 👍