Why become a member? ×

6 String Bongo copy

TheGreek

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Looks pretty much the same as my wrongo - You can get them cheaper from Aliexpress than that.  I asked for mine to not have the logos on it.

What's the quality like? Is it payable / useable?

I really like the look of this sixer, but as I'm always skint, would have to add Brexit tax, and currently not even in a band, it would be pretty pointless. 

Edit: Apologies, I see you've answered all those question on the other thread you linked. Thanks. 

Still it's giving me GAS at that price. 😂

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

What's the quality like? Is it payable / useable?

I gigged it, it was fine, Neck is good, headstock is out of line so the strings aren't straight. Its playable, although had to redo the preamp as it was wired permanently ie, the battery drains straight away because it doesn't switch off - yes, there is one battery, two pretend battery holes just for show.

The finish was actually ok.

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I really like the look of this sixer, but as I'm always skint, would have to add Brexit tax, and currently not even in a band, it would be pretty pointless. 

only if you bought it here, if you bought it from aliexpress where it is a lot cheaper it would just come through and have free shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000326860373.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.43.50a110f3unFuC1&algo_pvid=1f5f8904-589c-4b72-9081-126c444b803a&algo_exp_id=1f5f8904-589c-4b72-9081-126c444b803a-21&pdp_npi=4%40dis!GBP!239.27!239.27!!!294.78!!%40211b88f116920847898717128e0200!10000001341805181!sea!UK!1744630971!&curPageLogUid=8yue0sW0zrvc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I gigged it, it was fine, Neck is good, headstock is out of line so the strings aren't straight. Its playable, although had to redo the preamp as it was wired permanently ie, the battery drains straight away because it doesn't switch off - yes, there is one battery, two pretend battery holes just for show.

The finish was actually ok.

only if you bought it here, if you bought it from aliexpress where it is a lot cheaper it would just come through and have free shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000326860373.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.43.50a110f3unFuC1&algo_pvid=1f5f8904-589c-4b72-9081-126c444b803a&algo_exp_id=1f5f8904-589c-4b72-9081-126c444b803a-21&pdp_npi=4%40dis!GBP!239.27!239.27!!!294.78!!%40211b88f116920847898717128e0200!10000001341805181!sea!UK!1744630971!&curPageLogUid=8yue0sW0zrvc

Unfortunately it's not that straight forward here. Importing stuff from China is an absolute nightmare that requires reams of paperwork and several visits to port autoroutes etc. By the time I've finished with legal work, translators and running around burning fuel it negates any savings made by ordering from China in the first place. 

Last time I ordered something from China (mobile phone)  I just ended up leaving it in customs because getting it out would have cost more than it was worth. 

It would actually work out cheaper and easier to buy the one from the UK and forward ship it. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

39 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Strange notion of fake... Are you Chinese? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I understand what fake means, do you? It is an illegal copy of a bongo

adjective: fake

not genuine; imitation or counterfeit.

noun: fake

a thing that is not genuine; a forgery or sham.

verb: fake;

forge or counterfeit (something).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I understand what fake means, do you? It is an illegal copy of a bongo

adjective: fake

not genuine; imitation or counterfeit.

noun: fake

a thing that is not genuine; a forgery or sham.

verb: fake;

forge or counterfeit (something).

So no need for a logo.

Do you have some sense of humour?

29 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It would actually work out cheaper and easier to buy the one from the UK and forward ship it. 

Ah that is a pain - although that one is also in china with shipping, so it woudn't help. Mine was for sale for a while, but it is only a 5, and currently i need to redo the headstock.

TBH - at nearly £400 it isn't worth it, but below 300 it maybe. I was surprised at how well these things play, and that the neck is pretty good. The oddest thing is that having built a bass myself and having a handle on it, it is odd about how some of the trickier things are spot on, but the simple things aren't right - like, the neck is straight, the action is good, the frets are good, but the side dots aren't lined up and the machineheads are in the wrong place which pulled the bridge off. The pickups are good, but the jack socket was a mono rather than the stereo so it couldn't switch the batteries off.

The shape is well done, however the shape is clearly done by someone who had seen a bongo and drawn it from memory, which is odd as there are pictures on the net that would say it is wrong - but the wrong shape they have done is perfect.

The finish is perfect, but it has two battery boxes, one of which is a fake.

It is a weird combination of good and bad, but not where you would think.

However, as I said, I did gig it, it sounded fine (although now having a bongo, not the same) and someone even asked me about it. I would gig it again.. except I have a real one which I am kind of in love with, so why would I!

• Like 1