Why become a member? ×

Arriving, reflecting and departing - music for your funeral

snorkie635

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2024 at 06:40, bass_dinger said:

Break free from traditional dating norms and embrace the best in casual connections.
Allow yourself the forbidden, one night only
Actual Girls

At a funeral? Oh dear.

I want this bloke to sing at mine.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Hand of Doom - Sabbath

Crime of the Century - Supertramp

Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley.... that'll get 'em going. 

Yeah, last goodbye - what a winner

I have played at a few funerals - being part of a church band affords one that privilege.  It also means that one invariably knows (knew) the person in the casket. 

Hymns tend to be played live, and are more modern.  Anything older is beyond the capability of the band.  

As they are during the working day, it can be difficult to get a band together, and during Covid, the number of people allowed to gather together was limited (and included the band in the quota). 

The best (worst) one that I did was when a Gospel group wanted to sing the first verse acapella, and have the band join in on the chorus.

"What key will you sing In?"

"We are singing that (points at the chord chart)."

We let them sing. They were in D flat - definitely not the  "that" of the chord chart.

"Can you do D? It's easier for us musicians. We will give you the opening chords, you pitch to that, and then sing acapella. "

"Of course! "

Live service, broadcast online, opening chords in D, they sing the verse,  and by the time we were ready to join them, they had drifted to D flat and a quarter. 

I spotted it by my third note, pianist took longer.  Nobody else noticed - not even the singers. 

Sometimes, the band are crying for a reason other than the loss of a loved one...

• Sad 1

My funeral plan allows for four tracks, which are:

Entrance:  Surrender To The Rhythm- Brinsley Schwarz

Reflection:  New Town Velocity - Johnny Marr

Photo montage:  I'll Feel  A Whole Better When Yoùre Gone - The Byrds

Leaving: C'mon Feel The Noize - Slade

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't really want a funeral. I'd rather have people I love have a party. 

But if there was to be a funeral I'd like Jugband Blues as the last and maybe only song. I'd be wearing a Liverpool shirt.

I'd need to hire six strong men to lift the coffin at the right time (when the jug band starts playing) and skip happily towards the exit with my remains bashing around inside it.

Then stop as Barrett starts to sing again. And walk in a who cares manner to the car that will take me to the cremation. 

I want my ashes spread in the river that runs through my city and into the sea. That's the only thing that is important to me. It's probably not legal which is a plus. Anyone attending should have plenty of drinks.

Edit:

Walk in music: Neurosis, "Lost". Find the first samples fitting and love the song.

and I'd have this one as well:

Edited by HornetPinata
forgot an essential part and added two more songs I love.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Choosing music for a funeral is such a personal decision. Your selections sound like they would create a meaningful and memorable atmosphere. I've been in a similar situation recently; exploring low-cost funeral options and direct cremation seemed like a practical choice. As for music, I haven't quite decided yet, but I'm leaning toward pieces that reflect the essence of my life and the emotions I  want to evoke in those I leave behind. It's all about creating a final farewell that feels true to who we are. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Edited by untilthesungoesdown
  • Like 1