Why become a member? ×

Vintage Ibanez

nilorius

Nice idea but I’m fine with it. A very young Andy Warnock had a look at it like 30 years ago and sorted it switching on and off - there was a time when the active circuit didn’t work. Indeed, I’m sure he fixed it but something in the intervening years could have changed things. I don’t use it enough to be able to work out what needs tweaking. Just gives the old girl character…

I have a pair of late ‘70s Japanese doublenecks (guitar neck / bass neck) which were made in the same factory as the Ibanez models of the era but rebadged with a different name on the headstock for the UK market. One of them says Antoria and the other says CMJ.

IMG_8212.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, The Funk said:

I have a pair of late ‘70s Japanese doublenecks (guitar neck / bass neck) which were made in the same factory as the Ibanez models of the era but rebadged with a different name on the headstock for the UK market. One of them says Antoria and the other says CMJ.

IMG_8212.jpeg

Are You sure ?

On 10/08/2023 at 20:56, jezzaboy said:

It`s always amazed me that Ibanez don`t re do some of the older models, I mean Fender have been doing it for decades!

But maybe the only ones who would buy them would be sad gits on bass forums :ph34r:

Seriously, while I do like current Ibanez, they really ought to re-release some of their old classics, like for instance the Musician Bass.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Seriously, while I do like current Ibanez, they really ought to re-release some of their old classics, like for instance the Musician Bass.

They did reissue the Musician, but they overdid it and charged silly money. Meet the MC30th:

https://reverb.com/item/2353753-ibanez-rare-ltd-ed-mc30th-musician-bass-no-7-of-only-15-made-in-japan-w-ohsc

25 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

They did reissue the Musician, but they overdid it and charged silly money. Meet the MC30th:

https://reverb.com/item/2353753-ibanez-rare-ltd-ed-mc30th-musician-bass-no-7-of-only-15-made-in-japan-w-ohsc

That's what I thought. It's like the Aria SB reissues, silly money and with a few tweaks.

On 25/08/2023 at 19:49, The Funk said:

IMG_8212.jpeg

70s Antorias were made by Fujigen Gakki & were the same instruments as their Ibanez counterparts, even down to the model numbers - for most, the only differences were the brands & price tags, Antoria being somewhat less expensive. The Jazz/Strat (Jrat? Strazz?) is super-rare as either Ibanez or Antoria and doesn't appear in any of the surviving catalogues of either brand, so it's anyone's guess what the model number was.*

The SG/EB is a CMI (Cleartone Musical Instruments, essentially a Marshall amps sub-brand) and these weren't made by Fujigen, and so are unrelated to Ibanez. CMI sourced from numerous factories & from the details I can see (3-screw pickups, head shape & trc style) I'm pretty confident this is a Matsumoku made instrument. It will have 'Steel Adjustable Neck' stamped neckplates & random undateable serial numbers - although there will probably be pickup codes for accurate dating.

I've always fancied a guitar/bass twin-neck simply for (theoretical) ease of going between guitar & bass ideas when composing stuff. And for showing the guitarist what he's doing wrong.

*Edit - update - apparently it's a model 2407 & called a Gemini. Although I can't help but wonder what magic source of info an auction house has that's unavailable to the wider online MIJ geek cognosenti!

https://www.guitar-auctions.co.uk/sale/145/418/1976-Antoria-Gemini4-Model-2407-double-neck-basselectric-guitar-made-in-Japan-ser-no-C76xxx9

Edited by Bassassin
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for all that information!

I assumed the SG/EB was also from Fujigen Gakki but only because I have seen Ibanez guitar/bass doublenecks from the era which look identical. The serial numbers on the Antoria and CMI both start 76 so I assumed they were from 1976.

These guitar/bass doublenecks are very cool but also suddenly started feeling very heavy after my 40th birthday. Amplifying them is also rather difficult as they only have a single output jack.

16 hours ago, The Funk said:

Thank you for all that information!

I assumed the SG/EB was also from Fujigen Gakki but only because I have seen Ibanez guitar/bass doublenecks from the era which look identical. The serial numbers on the Antoria and CMI both start 76 so I assumed they were from 1976.

These guitar/bass doublenecks are very cool but also suddenly started feeling very heavy after my 40th birthday. Amplifying them is also rather difficult as they only have a single output jack.

To be honest, dating these things - particularly Matsumokus - can be a wildly inexact science! Matsumoku have used a variety of different serial styles, & for a bit did use the same scheme as Fujigen - letter for month, first 2 digits year etc but these tend to be later 70s & not that common. Older Mats serials, the 6 & 7 figure numbers usually seen on the 'Steel Adjustable' plates do appear to be random. I've seen early twin-necks with 2 entirely unrelated numbers.

It tends to be the case that dateable serials in general began in the mid/late 70s. Fujigen started accurate numbering at the end of '75 and a lot of other Japanese manufacturers (and there were literally dozens at the time) followed suit. Prior to that there's really only old catalogues and pickup date codes to go on. Fortunately a lot of manufacturers used Maxon-brand pickups made by Nisshin Onpa, which were numbered from 1972 on - and that's what are on your CMI. Those units with the 3-screw fittings seem to be exclusive to Matsumoku and usually turn up on pre '74 instruments, so I was sort of assuming it would be from that period. Of course old MIJ is sufficiently weird that there are always outliers & exceptions!

Can you tell I've spent way too much time thinking about this stuff? :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

One of the Roadstar variants?

1984_Roadstar_II_Deluxe_models.jpg

👍... Yes, it does appear to be but the pups were a small single coil at the bridge and a chunky humbucker style at the neck.. maybe a cheaper version of the RB750BK at the bottom? .. 

Edited by bottomfeed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wombat said:

Lol. You look like that DJ - in a good way!

basic googling suggests a Roadstar 1. The 2 went to 4 a side…

There were no Roadstar 1s. Roadstar 2 was meant to be Roadster 2, the 'a' was a typo they liked & stuck with. A bit like Donkey Kong!

@bottomfeed's bass looks like an RB760 - single coil/bucker, binding, 24-fret.

26.thumb.jpg.84fe1ad932e2414d95c79839aef1f3d8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A rarity for you lovers of vintage Ibanez items... Axstar AXB50, just arrived. Closest in design to the Yamaha BX 1, strongly 80s look - it looks like a prop from Total Recall - but sounds great and the body is actually very ergonomic and of course very light. The main thing for my purposes is that it can go on a plane if you pay for an extra cabin bag, but I think I could become very fond of it anyway.

IMG_20230909_152900.thumb.jpg.828da607994415c01fc57a2961bb5e2a.jpg

IMG_20230909_152915.thumb.jpg.57a1e32e39168a57da510d1938c18706.jpg

Edited by JoeEvans
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

A rarity for you lovers of vintage Ibanez items... Axstar AXB50, just arrived. Closest in design to the Yamaha BX 1, strongly 80s look - it looks like a prop from Total Recall - but sounds great and the body is actually very ergonomic and of course very light. The main thing for my purposes is that it can go on a plane if you pay for an extra cabin bag, but I think I could become very fond of it anyway.

IMG_20230909_152900.thumb.jpg.828da607994415c01fc57a2961bb5e2a.jpg

IMG_20230909_152915.thumb.jpg.57a1e32e39168a57da510d1938c18706.jpg

What a beauty !!!🤣

• Like 1