Why become a member? ×

Woodstain advice

sprocketflup

On @Andyjr1515's recommendation I've used calligraphy ink with great results. I just wiped on with a household kitchen sponge, one of those with a scourer on the back. It's water based so can be easily watered down to achieve a lighter shade, and to a degree mistakes can be wiped off with a damp cloth.

Can be oil finished, lacquered or waxed over once dry to any degree of matt, satin or gloss. 

Here's an old Kay neck through that I stained the body wings on then lacquered over. 

20220102_183107.thumb.jpg.2d0a8d0f9094ad68237013b900491df7.jpg

• Like 7

On 07/08/2023 at 19:59, Maude said:

On @Andyjr1515's recommendation I've used calligraphy ink with great results. I just wiped on with a household kitchen sponge, one of those with a scourer on the back. It's water based so can be easily watered down to achieve a lighter shade, and to a degree mistakes can be wiped off with a damp cloth.

Can be oil finished, lacquered or waxed over once dry to any degree of matt, satin or gloss. 

Here's an old Kay neck through that I stained the body wings on then lacquered over. 

20220102_183107.thumb.jpg.2d0a8d0f9094ad68237013b900491df7.jpg

That finish looks deep enough to swim in! An excellent result - luthier quality.

I know there's a ton of information out there about wood stains, but my go to for a flat colour would always be Fiebings Leather Dye.

Used it to stain/colour fingerboards and my old Ibanez body.  Apply/rub in with lint-free kitchen towels (Bounty or similar).  Goes on great, very forgiving, gets everywhere.