Why become a member? ×

NBD Steinberger L2

roger

You are a man after my own heart, Rodger. 

The only bass that I have never owned that torments me to this day. The Steinberger XL is still the best sounding graphite bass ever made in my opinion, and such an elegant and beautiful design concept.

I longed for one back in the 1980s but they were way beyond my pocket at the time. I  even had the Steinberger catalogue, I seem to remember.

I've got a Status Streamline now as a substitute, and I'd be very interested to hear how you think they compare tonally and otherwise. The Status is a wonderful instrument that sounds great and a very ergonomic design, but to me the Steinberger has a tone that is unbeatable.

Edited by Misdee

24 minutes ago, Misdee said:

You are a man after my own heart, Rodger. 

The only bass that I have never owned that torments me to this day. The Steinberger XL is still the best sounding graphite bass ever made in my opinion, and such an elegant and beautiful design concept.

I longed for one back in the 1980s but they were way beyond my pocket at the time. I  even had the Steinberger catalogue, I seem to remember.

I've got a Status Streamline now as a substitute, and I'd be very interested to hear how you think they compare tonally and otherwise. The Status is a wonderful instrument that sounds great and a very ergonomic design, but to me the Steinberger has a tone that is unbeatable.

Hi, I too have a streamline, I’ve always wanted a steinberger and this one came up, an L2 (all the purists seem to prefer the L2) I posted for info over on talkbass and got some great info. The string spacing is narrower and 38mm at the nut (quite different from the status) the sustain is amazing too, it’s quite heavy, which I was really surprised at, i like it so much my status is up for sale/trade  the weight and the density of the bass really gives it a unique tone

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, roger said:

Hi, I too have a streamline, I’ve always wanted a steinberger and this one came up, an L2 (all the purists seem to prefer the L2) I posted for info over on talkbass and got some great info. The string spacing is narrower and 38mm at the nut (quite different from the status) the sustain is amazing too, it’s quite heavy, which I was really surprised at, i like it so much my status is up for sale/trade  the weight and the density of the bass really gives it a unique tone

The great thing about the Steinberger is it's not trying to sound like a conventional bass. It's a tone all of its own. I remember trying them out them in shops and being surprised by the substantial sound and feel of them. 

The Streamline is excellent in its own way, and has certain advantages, but the Steinberger will always be the ultimate graphite bass to me.

What you need now is a GK 800RB amp and Hartke 4x10 XL cabinet to play this bass through for the full 1980s experience.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagman said:

Where you able to figure out what year it was made?

I took the front plate off and posted pics over on talkbass, as you can imagine there’s some excellent info from those guys, the pick ups, the moulding inside, leg rest etc etc points to it being very early, someone at the factory has scribed Nov 81 (you can just about make it out) so……all points to being maybe in the first couple of hundred 👍

• Like 1

Nice one Roger. When the time comes (as it surely will) for me to thin my herd of basses, my original L2 will be the last to go - in fact I'll probably go first!

Had a quick look at the TB thread. As someone there mentioned, the pickups were originally labelled SS. EMG renamed them to HB several years into production so if your bass is as early as 81, it's likely had replacement pickups for some reason.

It really is something, like nothing else. 
it’s just something I’ve wanted for years (growing up in the 80’s n’all) I has the spirit and it was ok🤷‍♂️ I’d never even played one until I picked this one up 😄 it didn’t disappoint. (surprisingly heavy)!

• Like 1