Why become a member? ×

String ID please

Soledad

Wonder if someone can identify these strings - they're on a very fine Sandberg fretless I just had arrive from italiancross. They're flats and appear to be 45 - 100s - using a metric micrometer the E seems to be  2.59mm = .101", so I'll assume 100s. Thje G is similarly v close to 45.

Ball ends all plain brass, wrap is red both ends. Augusto didn't know what brand they were. I was expecting to change to my usuals (EB Cobalt flats 45-105) but I'm quite impressed with these.

I'll say more about the Sandberg later but it is stunningly well built and sounds v good straight into my PJB Briefcase, so extremely promising.

Anyway, help appreciated.

str1.jpg

str2.jpg

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Aren't Rotos flats red?

I'll check

That was my first thought as the wrap is very reminiscent of the old Swing Bass rounds i used to use. But I'm pretty sure the set is 45 - 100s ; I'm going to measure again as Roto seem to do a 40-100 and a 45 105 but not a 45-100. Could be the G is a 45, the E feels like a 105.
£55 a set eh?! Damn, flats are an investment - that's about the same as the EB Cobalts I've been using. I know they last ages but I still like the slight crisp bite they have in the first flush of their youth!

Anyways these are really nice strings for the fretless and seem to be more or less new,so I'll stick with these a good while.

11 hours ago, Man.about.Tyne said:

TI jazz flats. 43 - 100 with red silks at both ends.

the windings don’t look quite right - a little too smooth.

You mean not quite right for TIs, or for Rotos?

I re-measured the G, in several places: 1 12 - 1.14mm = .044 - .045", i.e. 45s.

Re-measured E also: 2.56 / 2.57 = .1 - .101 so 100s.

So I'm confident these are 45 - 100s.

About the TIs - do they have a really smooth wrap where the 'gaps' in ribbon are virtually invisible? Cos that's what these are like. These also feel quite flexible / bendy - and that tends to promote the mids/harmonics I think.

Not used to buying a bass and discovering I like the strings, so it's ironic I like these and don't know what they are!

40 minutes ago, Soledad said:

About the TIs - do they have a really smooth wrap where the 'gaps' in ribbon are virtually invisible? Cos that's what these are like

They aren’t TI’s , the silks are the same colour but yours look very smooth whereas TI’s are not 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Adagio's... i have em on a few basses... Ball end the same as your pic Brass Balls!... couple of headstock pics..

They look a lot like those, the really smooth closed wrap, and the red silks look same. Can't be right though because I'm not supposed to like cheap strings... must be a mistake 😂

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

Adagio flats on Amazon £16.99, free next day....

They do look quite a bit like these!!

Adagio.jpeg

That's because they are the same strings. Rotos have no silk at ball end. TIs silks at headstock start closer to the A tuner than the E. Olympia have very uneven silks at headstock (uneven heights), don't line up like more expensive flats.

The only other red silk flats are Harley benton ones, but they have coloured ball end.

• Like 1