Why become a member? ×

Black Music Man Bongo Bridge

Woodinblack

Anyone know where you can get a black bridge for a 5 string bongo? it has silver everywhere currently and I think it would look nice with black, but although you can buy saddles directly from the manufacturer, they don't seem to do the bridge as a unit (or even the base plate)

It's a shame they're so heavily chromed, otherwise it might be possible to refinish the original. 

Maybe get an engineering firm to make you a brass base-plate to match the original? That could be finished in black, and the original saddles and big round hex-bolts transferred. Use black screws to secure it and get black intonation screws and springs. 

Just an idea. No concept of cost.

But it IS reversible.

A discussion on ANother bass site suggests that the 3 middle holes at the rear of the plate line up with the same holes on BadAss and Hipshot units. 

This is for the 4 String units only,  though. 

It occurs to me that if you (or someone else) could get the 5 string equivalents together,  it'd be possible to see if they line up also. 

I don't think I'd be happy with only 3 screws holding the bridge in place. 

I'd be looking for ways to integrate the "big" posts into the new bridge to improve its stability. 

On 25/07/2023 at 20:22, Hellzero said:

These are excellent lightweight replacement bridges, not sure they will fit a Bongo... Just ask them.

https://www.ampshopbassexchange.com/product/albridge-parts-mq5-sterling-music-man-replacement-5-string-bass-bridge-black-18mm-string-space/

Shame about the spacing - this is one of 2 MM style bridges I could find - it took a while to come but it is really well made. Why are there so few options in this space? Does EB prevent their sale?

4 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Shame about the spacing - this is one of 2 MM style bridges I could find - it took a while to come but it is really well made. Why are there so few options in this space? Does EB prevent their sale?

It looks nice, just the spacing. I am not sure what could be the downside of selling a bridge that works with a bongo, or even why they don't sell one themselves. I know bridges don't break often, but I am sure they can (and they sell the saddles)

edit:

I wrote to them and asked, see what they say