Why become a member? ×

Where to go to try amps and cabs?

ToLo

So I'm thinking of getting a new amp. I've got an ampeg SVT3PRO and SVT410 cab and am looking to downsize (these are both for sale if anyone is interested!). I'm thinking of getting one of these light weight heads and perhaps one 2x12 or maybe two 2x10s so I've got a bit of a more modular setup. 

Where can I go to try out a selection of amps and cabs? I recently went to Andertons and they don't have a huge selection of things to try. I'm based in North Kent so would appreciate any suggestions for places in London/South/South East. 

Thanks! :D

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The Gallery or Bass Direct probably have the biggest selection.

This. in my experience, BD has the better selection of stock. As you're contemplating a major purchase, it would be worth (if it's possible) taking a day off work and paying them a visit .They're in Warwick, so not that close to you, but easily reachable by road. I did that a few years back when I went lightweight. If you visit during the daytime in the week, the shop will be fairly quiet and you can try stuff to your heart's content and make an informed decision.

It's getting difficult as more and more stuff goes online, our local shop Axe Music has closed and even Mansons in Exeter has gone. PMT have a bit of bass stuff but the range is limited.

The very best place to go is a bass bash if you can get to one, if you don't know they are annual meetings of Bass Chat members where everyone brings their best stuff to show off, you can try a lot of gear in one place. The SW one is excellent (just outside Taunton) The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2023 - Events - Basschat  I'm not sure if the South East one is happening this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

The Gallery or Bass Direct probably have the biggest selection.

I lived in London for 7.5 years and I’ve never heard of the bass gallery! Can’t believe it. 
Camden is easy for me to get to so I might check them out. Thanks mate

🤘😁🤘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

IME trying out a bass amp or cab in a shop is almost completely pointless.

The only true test is what it sounds like in the rehearsal room or at a gig with the rest of your band playing.

I get what you’re saying, it’s going to sound totally different at gig volume with the rest of the band. If you know of a shop who lets you ‘borrow’ gear to try in a gig setting before you buy it then I’m all ears. 

failing that - plugging in and trying something in a shop is the only other alternative 🤷‍♂️

Buy on line. Return under the distance selling regs if your not happy.

THB I've got around this problem over the last 35 years by in the first instance having amps and cabs that were simply there to get my sound from line level to something people could hear, and these days by not bothering with back line at all and going straight into the PA.

Edited by BigRedX

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Buy on line. Return under the distance selling regs if your not happy.

THB I've got around this problem over the last 35 years by in the first instance having amps and cabs that were simply there to get my sound from line level to something people could hear, and these days by not bothering with back line at all and going straight into the PA.

I might try that, buy online and return if not happy. It’s a bit of a long winded way to test multiple rig options out though - I’d much prefer to go to a store and try multiple things in one go, and then giving it a ‘proper’ test drive at a gig

I’d love to go into the PA - my practice setup at home is just my pedal board with the sansamp vt DI at the end and then into my interface and listening back using headphones, and I really like the tone I get from that. My band doesn’t have a particularly fancy PA with any sub woofers so I don’t get any support from the PA, it’s all from my amp when playing live. 

Edited by ToLo

If you've already got a sound you like before it goes into any amps have you thought about replacing the traditional bass rig with an FRFR?

That's what I have done for rehearsals and the very few gigs my bands play where the PA isn't adequate for putting the bass through it (two gigs in the last 6 years). I've got an RCF745, but there are cheaper models that will probably do the job just as well. Of course it doesn't have the "image" of a traditional bass rig, but it does fit on stage in places where there isn't easily room for and amp and cabs and the dispersion is far better than most dedicated bass cabs (which will be a definite advantage if you are not going through the PA).

23 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you've already got a sound you like before it goes into any amps have you thought about replacing the traditional bass rig with an FRFR?

That's what I have done for rehearsals and the very few gigs my bands play where the PA isn't adequate for putting the bass through it (two gigs in the last 6 years). I've got an RCF745, but there are cheaper models that will probably do the job just as well. Of course it doesn't have the "image" of a traditional bass rig, but it does fit on stage in places where there isn't easily room for and amp and cabs and the dispersion is far better than most dedicated bass cabs (which will be a definite advantage if you are not going through the PA).

I literally just this week discovered this as a potential option. I’ve read mixed things about using FRFR speakers for bass rigs. I know nothing about FRFR speakers…. I presume I’d need an active/powered speaker as the sansamp is just a pre amp with no power amp. What kind of power would I need in an FRFR speaker?

Edited by ToLo

IIRC the amp in the RCF745 that I have is rated at 700Watts.

For the two gigs that I have done where I need this to provide bass guitar cover for the whole venue, I had the volume control on the RCF at about 3/4 and on the Line6 Helix which I use as a pre-amp/effects at well under half way. What I have noticed is that I didn't need to be anything like as loud in relation to the rest of the band as I used to with my previous "traditional" rig - on one occasion I had to turn up so much to fill the venue with bass guitar sound that I could barely hear anything else on stage. The improved dispersion of the FRFR is definitely a bonus in this case.

If you have a read through the other various FRFR threads on hear you'll find what others are using, and can get idea of what might work for you. Consider getting a PA type stand for it. I don't bother because most of the time mine is for rehearsals and personal monitoring, but others have commented than used in wedge configuration they can be a little overpowering in the bass end.

16 minutes ago, ToLo said:

I literally just this week discovered this as a potential option. I’ve read mixed things about using FRFR speakers for bass rigs. I know nothing about FRFR speakers…. I presume I’d need an active/powered speaker as the sansamp is just a pre amp with no power amp. What kind of power would I need in an FRFR speaker?

In a sense there is no difference between using a PA speaker and a flat response bass rig. The technology is the same, you still have a big speaker in a box with a horn and driver to cope with the higher frequencies. To an extent you get what you pay for good systems of either type with the extra money going on a better box and a better bass driver which will handle more bass and track the bass more accurately. If you are lucky you will also get a better crossover to clean up the mids and a better horn drive. So the first question is what is your budget? 

When it comes to power it's also the same deal. the advantage of an active speaker is that the amp and speaker matching is completely sorted for you. Amplifier watts are so cheap now that 3-500W is pretty normal and will drive most 12 or 15" speakers to their peak. Be a little wary of PA amp claims though, they routinely double or quadruple the power in their advertising claims. A common trick is that they use the same amplifier in multiple cabs but throttle them down within DSP speaker protection so that their littlest speakers dont see the same power as the big ones. They'll still tell you its a thousand watt amp. that happens with bass amps but more rarely. in fact unless they say its a thousand watts and are not charging thousands then it isn't a thousand watts. That doesn't mean an RCF745 as mentioned above isn't capable of being incredibly loud, it's what I use for PA.

Generally you'd have to pay over £1k for a new bass speaker specifically designed for FRFR, have a look at Barefaced and Vanderkley. But, there is another option @stevie of Bass Chat has launched a range of FRFR bass speakers under the LFSys brand. Cheaper and better sounding than the above. If you contact Stevie he might be able to arrange a trial for you (He's on holiday this week coming) 

I'll declare an interest though Stevie is a friend of mine.