Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz VM - Thinking about additional tin-plates..

VTypeV4

I love my Squier VM Jazz. It's an early one (2006) that I've owned for a long while now (2008/9 ish) as such, I've done many shows and studio sessions with it over the years - it's a time-proven keeper. Recently it's fallen out of favour a little given the arrival of the 40th anniversary Squier Jazz back in January although the other day, it looked great in the light so I dusted it off and mocked some plates on it.

Jazz Plates O2R

It's just the screw holes leaving a permanent scar that bothers me.. 😬

Edited by VTypeV4
  • Like 2

They wasn’t very practical for me, when I played near the neck they didn’t interfere at all which is a lot of the time, but sometimes I like to rest on the front pickup, and playing with the thumb I rest on the bridge, they do look cool though, and a good idea about the double sided tape 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

If you do decide to fit them my 62RI jazz came with a fixing template for the screw holes , you can probably download them, might be of use to you VType 

Thanks for that. 😀

• Like 1

Is this just for appearance or some perceived tech reason? 

I guess they used to put those covers on for extra screening of the single coil pickups.. and maybe to hide the "ugly" look of naked metal and plastic.  I was also told that the bridge cover was a handy place to stuff some foam for extra damping ( noone having invented floating thumb or left hand damping in the 50s).

But it blocks out so many places you might want to touch the strings.  Playing right over the pickups gets the best sound IMO   and the screening effect is small I think.

Just ...don't. or, if you must,  use tape. 😁

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Take the pick guard off instead... go on, and post a pic... for more of that lovely natural wood... if ya fussy on the screw holes, fit a clear guard.

For all that the VM70s Jazz basses were awesome instruments they're still Squiers, so I don't imagine that taking off the pickguard will improve the look of the bass...

Edited by asingardenof
Fixed typos

I did this with my MIM Jazz and it looks fantastic. But.... For me playing a jazz bass is all about using the pickup as a thumb anchor and playing over the pickups for different sounds. The neck pickup cover is a good arm rest for slapping but I rarely do that. I found the bridge pickup cover awkward because it took away one of the main places I liked to play on a jazz. Just try it with tape, see how it affects you and how much you need to adjust if any.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NickA said:

Is this just for appearance or some perceived tech reason? 

I guess they used to put those covers on for extra screening of the single coil pickups.. and maybe to hide the "ugly" look of naked metal and plastic.  I was also told that the bridge cover was a handy place to stuff some foam for extra damping ( noone having invented floating thumb or left hand damping in the 50s).

But it blocks out so many places you might want to touch the strings.  Playing right over the pickups gets the best sound IMO   and the screening effect is small I think.

Just ...don't. or, if you must,  use tape. 😁

Purely cosmetic - vanity!

My affinity currently has plates on it and they're easy enough to work round on that. 😃

• Like 1

Am about to do the same tin-on-Jazz thing. Neither covers are going to get in the way of my playing (which is right at the end of the neck, either with a pick or plucked with the side of my thumb because yes I’m a throwback) and I always liked the look. Plus, it’s a £150 Squier with Fray Bentos flatwounds on, so it’s not like I’ll be defiling a vintage Fender or anything. And, if I really don’t get on with them I can always take them off and sell them on ebay or Reverb for more than the bass is worth 😂

Edited by meterman
less worbs, beter spelling
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I always liked the bridge one with the great big  7 (F) embossed on it 😁

That’s the one!

I ordered mine from Ali Express so when it eventually gets here it’ll probably have a great big 3 on it or something but for 78p I’m okay with that.

• Like 1