Why become a member? ×

Custom Explorer - price drop £300 - *SOLD*
£380
Exeter

RaNoFuNkY

Due to car bill, I'm putting some gear up for sale.

Here's my "Explorer" bass. This was an ebay purchase some time ago, so I don't know anything about the history. However, it's really nicely built - clearly to a high level. The neck is more Precision than Jazz. The controls are Volume, Volume and Tone, which provide a nice range of sounds. I really like the P pickup on this, which was why I bought it (in lieu of an Alembic and I was playing some Who tracks). The break angle for the G string at the headstock (which I was initially worried about) is absolutely fine - tuning is completely stable and the action is great. Currently strung with dead roundwounds, which is my preference.

I don't have a case for this. Hardcases for explorers are available, although I haven't checked if this would fit one. I am happy to meet up within 40 miles of Exeter for a bit of petrol money. I can also do everything possible to safely bubble wrap this + package it in a typical cardboard box for a courier - but this would be at your risk.

20210812_101958.jpg

20210812_102008.jpg

20210812_102019.jpg

20210812_102027.jpg

20210812_102043.jpg

20210815_092752.jpg

20210815_092932.jpg

20230613_182205.jpg

20230613_182213.jpg

20230613_182226.jpg

Edited by RaNoFuNkY
SOLD
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

That's awesome. Typically, I'm at the wrong end of the country.

It certainly is awesome. Worryingly I'm at the right end of the country. 😬

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have a glam rock gig in October this would cost twice my fee, but the twisted logic of the GAS addled bassist still makes this very tempting.

Haha! Well, I am popping up to Oxford (from Exeter) on Monday - I can drop it off en route? This bass needs to be played!

17 minutes ago, RaNoFuNkY said:

Haha! Well, I am popping up to Oxford (from Exeter) on Monday - I can drop it off en route? This bass needs to be played!

I'd be happy to play it 🤭

This looks like a lovely thing, I'm currently hoping @stewblack buys it, then sells it to me after his glam gig!

1 minute ago, BreadBin said:

I'd be happy to play it 🤭

This looks like a lovely thing, I'm currently hoping @stewblack buys it, then sells it to me after his glam gig!

I'd be happy to sort a time share..... I don't really want to see this gone!!

I do love it, but the missus is pretty keen this goes...

39 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have a glam rock gig in October this would cost twice my fee, but the twisted logic of the GAS addled bassist still makes this very tempting.

And you could shunt the others around a bit to make space ….

• Haha 1

• RaNoFuNkY changed the title to Custom Explorer - price drop £300 and delivery options (Mon 10th and Tues 11th July)
On 09/07/2023 at 13:32, stewblack said:

I've read up on these and apparently they suffer from neck dive. 

Sadly this is a deal breaker for me.

I'm not sure that this comment is entirely fair or helpful? Perhaps it's best not to speculate on "one of these" so publicly - given that this is the only one? I assume you mean commercially available explorer basses. I've never played one of those - so I can't comment on whether the custom bass for sale here is even close to that neck dive, or those dimensions - I wouldn't be surprised if it was very different.

In contrast, I am certainly very happy to comment on neck dive if asked, in the name of transparency and the general good nature of Basschat. And, yes - if you let go of the bass and stand in a T-shape, the neck will dive. HOWEVER, this has never been a problem for me, as my right elbow sits on the lower "horn" all the time - as a coincidental counterweight. That's the natural playing position for the bass, so much so that I had to go and check if this did neck dive - despite owning this for ages. Given that I have a shot left shoulder, and so almost exclusively play short scale basses, neck dive is a real issue for me. I don't have that issue with this bass - it's quite comfortable with my elbow on the lower "horn".

Happy to answer any queries. 

• Like 1

• RaNoFuNkY changed the title to Custom Explorer - price drop £300

Nearly every picture of John Entwistle playing an explorer style bass has him doing exactly that, casually resting his right forearm/elbow on the rear horn, and a very cool stance it is too. 

14 minutes ago, RaNoFuNkY said:

I'm not sure that this comment is entirely fair or helpful? Perhaps it's best not to speculate on "one of these" so publicly - given that this is the only one? I assume you mean commercially available explorer basses. I've never played one of those - so I can't comment on whether the custom bass for sale here is even close to that neck dive, or those dimensions - I wouldn't be surprised if it was very different.

In contrast, I am certainly very happy to comment on neck dive if asked, in the name of transparency and the general good nature of Basschat. And, yes - if you let go of the bass and stand in a T-shape, the neck will dive. HOWEVER, this has never been a problem for me, as my right elbow sits on the lower "horn" all the time - as a coincidental counterweight. That's the natural playing position for the bass, so much so that I had to go and check if this did neck dive - despite owning this for ages. Given that I have a shot left shoulder, and so almost exclusively play short scale basses, neck dive is a real issue for me. I don't have that issue with this bass - it's quite comfortable with my elbow on the lower "horn".

Happy to answer any queries. 

I had no idea my remark was in anything other than a personal observation.  I'll delete the comment .

• 2 weeks later...

Yup! 34" scale.

I see that you're in West Wiltshire. I'm in Exeter, so I'd be happy to arrange a meeting point roughly half way between us and knock off some of the price (as, I'll save on P&P). 

Drop me a PM if you're interested.