Why become a member? ×

Decent bass stands for onstage use

Jackroadkill

Hi all, just wondering what you all use stand-wise when onstage or at rehearsals.  I've been using an old Hercules guitar stand but it's really not big (tall) enough for my Precisions.  Cheap, expensive, improvised - I'm not bothered, I just need an idea of some decent stands that are available.

Any advice*, comments or pictures gratefully received,

Cheers,

JRK

* - apart, that is, from "Give up bass and take up golf instead"....

I swear by Hercules as they are decent. I'm confused as to why your stand isn't long enough. I have had my Thunderbird on a Hercules stand and it's long enough. They do different models. Having had the cheap Ebay A-frames, I find having a bit more cash as an older musician, I may as well have something fit for purpose. This is an older pic from a UK tour and you'll see my Precision fits with loads of room. 

IMG_5248.JPG.0c823d963c9e5471dd2d5e573feea6d1.JPG

• Thanks 1

Any of the Hercules AGS (automatic grip system) stands are ideal for near enough any bass (except headless!). The bass “hangs” at the top of th stand by the headstock and rests against the stand at the bottom. Most other stands cradle the bass at the bottom, hence things like T’birds don’t sit well on them.

http://herculesstands.com/international/products/fretted-and-bowed-instrument/guitar/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I'm confused as to why your stand isn't long enough.

2 hours ago, cetera said:

Sounds like you have the wrong model stand.

3 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

I've been using an old Hercules guitar stand

It's nice to see the Hercules stands getting some love here.  The reason mine doesn't work very well is that it's for guitar rather than bass, so only just has the necessary length when hanging the bass by the headstock and isn't as stable as I'd like.

I'll investigate their bass stands; the one in your pic looks good, @Cat Burrito.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

It's nice to see the Hercules stands getting some love here.  The reason mine doesn't work very well is that it's for guitar rather than bass, so only just has the necessary length when hanging the bass by the headstock and isn't as stable as I'd like.

That's interesting I wasn't aware that there were different versions for guitar and bass. I've been using Hercules stands for about 20 years and the AGS ones (where the guitar or bass hands from the headstock) are all adjustable for height.

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That's interesting I wasn't aware that there were different versions for guitar and bass. I've been using Hercules stands for about 20 years and the AGS ones (where the guitar or bass hands from the headstock) are all adjustable for height.

This one is ancient; it doesn't have padding on the legs for the  bass to sit against, it has a wee fold-out rest that supports the back of the body and holds it away from the rest of the stand.  I can't remember exactly how old we're talking about but it must be at least 20 years - it's long ago enough that the rubber on the trigger part is going gummy.

image.thumb.png.41df90f775c66fe9c995ecc3a32f6dbc.png

That's it at maximum extension; it does keep the bass off the floor but it's not hugely stable.

I use a Hercules triple. Main bass and spare bass, then use the rear stand as a hanger for various things. Being in a Mod/Ska/Northern Soul band I often wear a suit, the jacket will get hung here if too hot, or a checkered or Union Jack flag draped over it looks good. 

• Like 1