Why become a member? ×

Squier mini precision NBD

Jean-Luc Pickguard

Ii found myself in Epsom yesterday with the missus and she insisted on dragging me into GuitarGuitar. They had some tasty strats & teles hanging up, but no mustang basses, however there was a mint condition secondhand squier mini precision with a fender guitar gigbag for just under a hundred quid. I've been half thinking of getting one of these in black so I could put a mirror pickguard on it for a mini Lynott-alike, but this one is red. I had a play on it and it was surprisingly decent. It would have been rude not to have bought it at the price so I did.

This morning I have raided my bits box and the bass now has a Fender hi-mass bridge and Status short scale stainless flats. I also rolled the fingerboard edges, applied some lemon oil, fitted a rosewood thumbrest, and given it a setup. I was originally thinking that I'd want to get an EMG Geezer pickup for it, but the stock ceramic one sounds very good with the flats, so I'll probably not bother and will just solder in the spare pure tone output socket I found in the bits box.

The only thing I don't like about it is the single ply bright white pickguard so I'll probably order a replacement from Brian Pillans. Not sure on the colour I'd get though.

Who else has a squier mini Precision and what upgrades have you done to it?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

solder in the spare pure tone output socket I found in the bits box.

... the 4 Multi Contact jobbie - 2 for the tip, 2 for the sleeve?

Just put onr in my Do-er Up-er Squier P... Great jack sockets...

Edited by PaulThePlug

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Not got one or even held one... but what's the scale length on these, and general neck shape, nut dimensions etc? 

Specification

BodyPoplar

Body FinishGloss Polyurethane

Body ShapeMini Precision Bass®

Neck MaterialMaple

Neck FinishSatin Urethane

Neck Shape"C" Shape

Scale Length28.6" (726 mm)

FingerboardLaurel

Fingerboard Radius9.5" (241 mm)

Number of Frets20

Frets SizeNarrow Tall

String NutSynthetic Bone

Nut Width1.60” (40.6 mm)

Position InlaysPearloid Dot

Truss RodsHead Adjust

Neck PickupSplit Single-Coil Precision Bass®

ControlsVolume, Tone

Pickup SwitchingNone

Pickup ConfigurationSplit Single Coil

Bridge4-Saddle Vintage-Style

Hardware FinishChrome

Tuning MachinesDie-Cast Sealed

Pickguard1-Ply White

Control KnobsKnurled Flat-Top

StringsNickel Plated Steel (.045-.105 Gauges)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Thanks for that comprehensive rundown @ezbass

I was toying with the idea of a build project that the neck from one of these might do nicely👍

Just copied it from the Guitar Guitar website, to be honest. One of our local charity shops has a couple of shorty Ps, but they’re way over priced (not Fenders or Squiers) and one of them has so much relief in the neck you can stick your fingers underneath the strings, I suspect the truss rod had gone.

• Like 1

I don't have a Sqiuer Mini P, but I do own an Ibanez Mikro Bass, which is the same scale length as the Mini P, that is 28.6", and I love it, in fact it is my main, though I do tune it to F#, 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, and of course have it strung up with accordingly lighter gauge strings.

I ripped out both the stock P and J pickup, and replaced the P pickup for an EMG Geezer Butler P, which I have wired directly to the output jack socket.

Also I use roundwound strings.

Sounds pretty amazing and is such a joy to play.

Can get a little cramped for chord work high up the fretboard though.