Why become a member? ×

Strap for neck dive

Supernaut

After a good quality strap that counters my neck diving P. 

Tried Mono and Neotech and whilst comfortable on my shoulder, they don't do much to help with the neck dive issue. 

Any straps out there that counter neck dive and give you comfort on the shoulder? 

No strap can really beat the lever / fulcrum effect.

If your tuners are old large plate design then swapping to a set of Hipshot Ultralights will make a massive difference.

Get the USA ones, not the licensed ones though as the USA version are lighter and reversible.

• Like 1

Depending on how severe the neck dive is, your cheapest non-permanent fix might be to tie a black boot lace to the bridge end of the strap, and tie the boot lace ends to the existing strap buttons, so the strap end is behind the bass. It has the same effect as making the horn longer, and is quite discreet.

David

13 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Depending on how severe the neck dive is, your cheapest non-permanent fix might be to tie a black boot lace to the bridge end of the strap, and tie the boot lace ends to the existing strap buttons, so the strap end is behind the bass. It has the same effect as making the horn longer, and is quite discreet.

David

Have you actually tried this yourself, or is it a solution you just came up with off the top of your head, cause as I understand what you just wrote I can see several potential issues with this that wouldn't make it work very well in practice?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 26/06/2023 at 11:16, chris_b said:

IMO you need to change the balance point by extending the button on the upper horn. Replace the screw with one double the length and add a spacer to move the strap button nearer the 12th fret.

This is similar to what I would suggest, however, I would relocate the lower button, as per the early Warwick Thumb position, this will change the centre of the body “gravity “ and automatically raise the headstock, hopefully my description makes sense .

On 26/06/2023 at 10:16, Baloney Balderdash said:

Have you actually tried this yourself, or is it a solution you just came up with off the top of your head, cause as I understand what you just wrote I can see several potential issues with this that wouldn't make it work very well in practice?

Yes I have used it on both a neck heavy 5-string Corvette with a light-weight swamp ash body, and on a 5-string Hohner headless, to move the fretboard two frets to the right so that it sits like a horned bass.

The only down side I found was that the bootlace makes an uside down V. But with a dark bootlace and a dark strap, that is not noticable.

I have seen advertisments for a commercial product that uses a rigid bar instead of a bootlace, and that gave me the idea.

David

• Like 1

On 24/06/2023 at 15:04, Supernaut said:

After a good quality strap that counters my neck diving P. 

Tried Mono and Neotech and whilst comfortable on my shoulder, they don't do much to help with the neck dive issue. 

Any straps out there that counter neck dive and give you comfort on the shoulder? 

Have a look at the Pinegrove Leather site. They offer very fine straps specifically for bass and which have suede backing.

On 29/06/2023 at 09:24, snorkie635 said:

Have a look at the Pinegrove Leather site. They offer very fine straps specifically for bass and which have suede backing.

Any recommendations on which strap? They offer a lot of models. 

On 26/06/2023 at 09:05, Mottlefeeder said:

I'm having trouble visualising this. Is it like the diagram below where the bootlace (red line) is tied to both the upper and lower strap buttons and the strap (blue) is connected to the bootlace some distance further in from the lower button? That would have a similar effect to having a countersunk strap button on the back of the bass which was an option offered by Dingwall at one point to reduce the long reach of the 37" scale (see second pic).

Strapdiagram.jpg.f294d775b37459fc6bd4a4dbaf0f2f11.jpg

Dingwallreachreducingpin.thumb.jpg.9feca786ab617f6c6eb81ab9db444da2.jpg

5 hours ago, ikay said:

I'm having trouble visualising this. Is it like the diagram below where the bootlace (red line) is tied to both the upper and lower strap buttons and the strap (blue) is connected to the bootlace some distance further in from the lower button? That would have a similar effect to having a countersunk strap button on the back of the bass which was an option offered by Dingwall at one point to reduce the long reach of the 37" scale (see second pic).

Strapdiagram.jpg.f294d775b37459fc6bd4a4dbaf0f2f11.jpg

Dingwallreachreducingpin.thumb.jpg.9feca786ab617f6c6eb81ab9db444da2.jpg

Yes, you've got it. However, the bootlace / red line will not be straight due to the weight of the bass - it will form a shallow inverted V with the strap fixing at the point.

David