Why become a member? ×

TonePrint Issue On My New-To-Me BH250 Amp Head

Phaedrus

Beaming hasn't worked - no variation in angle of phone to pick-up, no variation of bass, phone or amp volumes... just refuses to play ball.

I can't figure out how to download the SpectraComp TonePrint on my laptop so I can load it into the amp via USB cable.

TC Electronic's support system is like trying to swim through treacle. 

Any advice? Anyone got any links to tutorials?

Personally, I’ve never managed to get the beaming function to work with an active bass. I just plug the usb cable between my BG250 and my computer and use the TonePrint software to download whatever effect I’m after. 

I have the Spectradrive pre amp.  The tone print beaming thing worked initially but gave up after about 5 or 6 goes.  I think the last thing I left on it was the clean boost.  As a pre amp its fine; it has a DI, the EQ section works well enough and it has an aux in and a headphone jack, if you need them.  The only problem for me with losing the tone print function is the damage to the resale value as I wouldn't use it anyway.

On my BH550, I've never had it 'not' work, even using a multitude of different basses. Jazz/P/stingrays/MTD/Spector/Modulus  The only time it's ever not worked, is when something is plugged into the aux port or effect send/return, or the Toneprint being selected isn't a head-specific one.

On 24/06/2023 at 09:44, naxos10 said:

Is it a single or dual pickup bass you are using?

2 pick-ups. Yamaha BB605. Neither pick-up seems to work.

On 24/06/2023 at 10:13, wateroftyne said:

It only works for me if I hold my phone 6" or so from the pickups.

I'll give that a try - I've been right on top of the pick-ups, 3mm or so off the strings.

On 24/06/2023 at 10:39, lemmywinks said:

Are you using general Toneprints or the amp specific versions?

Only the amp ones work with their heads, make sure they're in the 'TonePrint Bass Amp' section with the white knob icon.

I suspect this is my problem. On neither the phone app nor the app in my laptop can I find the amp as a selectable option. I'll get back to it today and hopefully I'm missing something obvious. Any chance someone could post a screenshot of where I'll find the white knob icon?

On 24/06/2023 at 11:06, Bigguy2017 said:

Yes, use one pickup only, vol and tone on max, phone about 4" above pickup, make sure the Toneprint is for your Amp - I use the Spectracomp in my BG250 combo.

I use the SpectraComp on both my BG250 115 & BG250 112, but this BH250 + BC212 are new to me and I'd like to have the SpectraComp on that set-up too.

On 24/06/2023 at 11:47, JPJ said:

Personally, I’ve never managed to get the beaming function to work with an active bass. I just plug the usb cable between my BG250 and my computer and use the TonePrint software to download whatever effect I’m after. 

I tried this, but either the app on my laptop isn't working properly or I'm missing something.

On 25/06/2023 at 07:39, BillyBass said:

I have the Spectradrive pre amp.  The tone print beaming thing worked initially but gave up after about 5 or 6 goes.  I think the last thing I left on it was the clean boost.  As a pre amp its fine; it has a DI, the EQ section works well enough and it has an aux in and a headphone jack, if you need them.  The only problem for me with losing the tone print function is the damage to the resale value as I wouldn't use it anyway.

The versatility and lightness and clean tone is why I love these amps/combos. I use FX to get whatever final tones I want, so a clean amp tone works great for me.

Thanks guys for your replies - sincerely appreciated. 👍

Edited by Phaedrus
OCD