Why become a member? ×

Speaker cable question (running 2x big twin 2 gen3..)

Benji85

17 hours ago, Beedster said:

Great attitude to bring as a new member, perhaps do some homework?

Ha! Was slightly tongue in cheek... Relax 😜🙄

To be fair I don't know many people that play in bands that are so quite they don't need ear protection.

Most of the heavier bands I've played with the drummers have been far too loud to play without protection. That's got nothing to do with a lack of talent, just the kind of music demands it.

Back on topic, I'd say the big twin is definitely not the weak link in your setup. I've played a super twin with my old GK Fusion S 800 and it's been uncomfortably loud even with ear protection and stood well away. The cab barely broke a sweat and it's not as high output as yours. 

13 hours ago, Benji85 said:

I've been in probably about 10-15 bands over 25 years I think my option is fairly valid and accurate 

13 hours ago, Benji85 said:

Pretty sure if we had a poll on here most people would use ear protection. I'd bet money on it actually 

For someone who's been in so many bands and is so knowledgable, you don't seem to understand amplification very well.... 🤔

13 minutes ago, Beedster said:

For someone who's been in so many bands and is so knowledgable, you don't seem to understand amplification very well.... 🤔

Ah you're lovely haha 

I'm done with trying to reason with you. 

Your passive aggressive replays are growing very old now. Good day.

2 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

I'm not sure what you're advocating? Are you against the use of ear protection?

Beedster might be referring to the fact that the OP came on asking about speaker cable types and stating that a 1400w cab was distorting and that they were going to double up on said cab, whilst variously either getting a smaller amp to drive both cabs or adding a further 500w amp to drive the 2nd cab... whilst PA support was not an option.  Doesn't sound like someone with 20 years experience to me.  

That's just my take on it mind!  ;)  

Na thats fair although people can play in bands for 20 years casually without having exposure to bigger setups and hardware etc. It just seems like a lot of people jumping in stirring up an argument with a new member while providing no real suggestions or constructive feedback, seems a little more Talkbass than Basschat is all.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Na thats fair although people can play in bands for 20 years casually without having exposure to bigger setups and hardware etc. It just seems like a lot of people jumping in stirring up an argument with a new member while providing no real suggestions or constructive feedback, seems a little more Talkbass than Basschat is all.

I wondered about that but I just checked back through the thread and there really is a fair bit of very constructive info and advice been given over including the bone of contention that if you are driving a 600w amp to the point of it and/or a 1400w cab distorting then you are too loud... leading to a bit of niggle over hearing protection, which tbh having read from a neutral stance is all pretty valid.  

Defo seems to be all typical BC to me.  :)  

• Like 2

T’was the O/P’s rejection of advice along the lines of ‘have you never been in a band’ that encouraged me to engage in a rather negative tone. And yes, arguing for being highly experienced while apparently not fully understanding the amplification issue in question could be interpreted as contradictory. Anyway, my apologies, welcome @Benji85, stick around, stay lively, and enjoy it. We’re mostly decent folks here 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I think lesson here is try and avoid flippant comments where possible, that being said has taken every bit of feedback regarding gear suggestions onboard. For what its worth my current band is all loud and aggressive noisy punk stuff, the drummer is loud out of neccessity and not wearing ear protection is completely out of the question even if we're just at rehersals and taking it easy. That's not a reflection on the drummers compitance, it's just music that requires a little heavy handedness.

Dunno if it'd help but I found my Two10 looked like the speakers were going to fly off even at reasonably low volumes until I got a Thumpinator v2 on my board. Might be worth adding a HPF to cut out some of the unwanted low noise, especially if you're pushing the bass more on the EQ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

T’was the O/P’s rejection of advice along the lines of ‘have you never been in a band’ that encouraged me to engage in a rather negative tone. And yes, arguing for being highly experienced while apparently not fully understanding the amplification issue in question could be interpreted as contradictory. Anyway, my apologies, welcome @Benji85, stick around, stay lively, and enjoy it. We’re mostly decent folks here 👍

Thanks for the apology, and I'm sorry if I offended you and that we started on the wrong foot! No hard feelings. :)

all the best. Ben 

• Like 3

On 16/06/2023 at 16:58, Lozz196 said:

Having had both the ABM500 & 600 I found the 600 to be way more powerful. Maybe the extra EQ points help but it really was a different beast. Having put it through a Big Twin I couldn’t imagine the need for any more power.

Agreed, I noticed a huge difference between the 500 and 600, but that could be because the power amp in the specific 500 was on the way out.

On 15/06/2023 at 15:04, Benji85 said:

Thanks Paul. Yes sorry speakon cables .

I recently heard back from Dave at ashdown he says that I would only need the 2 core version as the 4 core is for "bi amps" whatever that is! 🤣

I shall await the arrival of the amplifier first before ordering the cable as some models came with speakon connectors on the back and other with jack.

Dave also has Views on the manufacturer of the cables, and suggests finding ones with actual Neutrik connectors.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 15:50, Benji85 said:

Well I make sure the vu meter doesn't go into the red as not to over drive the amp. 

I'm not sure what else I can do to? There is still some left on the output, as I said I only run it to around 1 o clock before it starts to distort the twin

I think occasional forays into the red is an approach that Ashdown actively encourage?

50 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Dave also has Views on the manufacturer of the cables, and suggests finding ones with actual Neutrik connectors.

Cables with Neutrik speakONs will shortly be increasing in price as there is a new IEC Standard for high-powered speaker connectors. Neutrik are discontinuing the familiar SPX range and these are being replaced by the FXX range.

FXX are still comparatively rare and as a consequence are more expensive. Suffice to say, the cheap copies will not be IEC compliant.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Cables with Neutrik speakONs will shortly be increasing in price as there is a new IEC Standard for high-powered speaker connectors. Neutrik are discontinuing the familiar SPX range and these are being replaced by the FXX range.

FXX are still comparatively rare and as a consequence are more expensive. Suffice to say, the cheap copies will not be IEC compliant.

Good to know! Fortunately I only have one cab for now and have a 1/4" cable to use as a backup.

2 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Good to know! Fortunately I only have one cab for now and have a 1/4" cable to use as a backup.

Why not just have a backup SpeakOn cable. 1/4" phone jacks can be dangerous for your amplifier. If they get pulled slightly out the amplifier sees a short circuit!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Why not just have a backup SpeakOn cable. 1/4" phone jacks can be dangerous for your amplifier. If they get pulled slightly out the amplifier sees a short circuit!

I had the 1/4" cable first because the amp I was using at the time only had that connector, while my current one has Speakon. My backup amp also only has a 1/4" socket so I'd need it for that in case anything happens. I will get another Speakon cable eventually, but other things have a higher priority at the moment

On 15/06/2023 at 14:16, Benji85 said:

Hello everyone,

I've been a lifelong ashdown abm 500 Evo 1 user (for the last 20 odd years) it's a great amp. I recently got a barefaced big twin 2 gen 3 and it's glorious.

I play in a reggae funk band often in large halls without much pa support. I was finding I'm pushing the big twin 2 pretty much to breaking point a lot of the time.

Anyway I've ordered another one (off a member on here again) and also an ashdown CTM 100 amplifier to power them - as this will run down to 2 ohms which is needed when connecting both cabs together.

Anyway I'm looking to make sure I've got the correct cables for this but am unsure about the differences between 2 Vs 4 core.

I've been advised that the barefaced cab is wired in "+1-2" whatever this means?? I didn't hear this directly from barefaced however, only an eBay seller who I asked the same question to.

Does anyone know if the barefaced 12xn - or big twin 2 cabs require 2 or 4 core speakon cables?

Ad what this +1-2 means?

Thanks 

Ben

Just incase this has been missed as I’ve not seen it in the chat, the ctm 100 only has jack speaker outs…… so the op could be wasting his money on speakon cables? 

unless of course he meant Bta instead of Ctm, 

Being in a loud band and using an abm 600 for a while I’m very surprised as some on volume but also depends if it’s heavy on low end…..