Why become a member? ×

Best low cost isolated power supply

BassAdder60

I’m looking for a pedal board power supply rated at 500mA on at least one output isolated outputs for say 4 pedals tops 

Less than £100 if possible and a quiet supply too 

Will be going on a Metro 20 board 

I saw the Fender one ( engine room ) but it’s out of stock 

… I’d get a used Cioks Expander 4 and use a 1 Spot 9V PSU. I think it’d give it enough power and has the added benefit of being able to be run off USB C if needed. Make sure it’s version 1.1 onwards though.

https://cioks.com/power-supplies/future-power-generation/cioks-4-expander/

Edited by jimbobothy
Spelling

A year ago I paid just over £40 for a TGI powerbox. Powered by an off-board wall wart, has  one 18V, two 12V and multiple low and high current 9V isolated outputs and includes a 9V reverse polarity lead. Appears noiseless to me.

Brilliant little bit of kit, even if it isn't from a big name.

• Like 1

The Harley benton range from THomann are great. I used to Junior power one years ago which was great, although wouldn't suit your needs. I now use a Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-1AC. Never had an issue. It's reasonably low profile, and uses a kettle plus which is a benefit in my opinion. 5 outputs at 500ma, and if you need more you can just daisy chain another one.

• Like 3

On 13/06/2023 at 18:26, BassAdder60 said:

Just ordered the Harley Benton one 

Hopefully should be ok 👍 

Came here to say this - only con is they don't have a thick kettle lead, all else is perfect and dead quiet.

Ander.

4 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Came here to say this - only con is they don't have a thick kettle lead, all else is perfect and dead quiet.

Ander.

I think it has a standard kettle lead connection though ? 
I have loads of actual power leads 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, garyt said:

For a Metro 20, you can’t go wrong with the Truetone CS6 as it can mount underneath

love it, and I’ve had it, but prices can just be criminal and for that money I’d rather buy a pedal 😅 but yes, top game purchase if you want a top game PSU. 

I’ve got a Harley Benton and it’s working great though. 

• Like 1

On 25/06/2023 at 23:08, BassAdder60 said:

Already went for the Harley Benton Pro unit and it’s superb 

Sorry , yes you did, should’ve read further down the chain.   
The Harley Benton pro looks a solid piece of kit as well.   Good choice 

On 25/06/2023 at 23:11, Ander87 said:

love it, and I’ve had it, but prices can just be criminal and for that money I’d rather buy a pedal 😅 but yes, top game purchase if you want a top game PSU. 

I’ve got a Harley Benton and it’s working great though. 

The price is slightly high.  Apart from the reputation and quality, the main reason I bought it, was because it was about the only unit with 6 outputs and fitted underneath a Metro board.   It’ll probably do me for life now (hopefully). 

The Harley Benton can't cope with the HX Stomp plus other pedals - get a motorboat sound from it. I've been unsuccessful with all otherwise good low-cost isolated supplies when trying to power the HX Stomp - the (obsolete) Vitoos ISO-8 doesn't manage to power up, even with current doubling, the Donner DP-2 hums, and the Kokko is noisy. My solution is to run a second 5.5/2.5mm DC extension alongside the 5.5/2.1mm DC extension which is cabletied to the jack-jack lead running from the HX Stomp output to the amp.

I am not familiar with the HX Stomp but I did own an older LIne6 pedal and it was powered by a 9V AC adapter. Most pedals require a 9V DC adapter - which is what the HB supplies.

If this is the case with the HX Stomp then there is no power supply that I am aware of that can supply both AC and DC.  

17 minutes ago, Moose said:

I am not familiar with the HX Stomp but I did own an older LIne6 pedal and it was powered by a 9V AC adapter. Most pedals require a 9V DC adapter - which is what the HB supplies.

If this is the case with the HX Stomp then there is no power supply that I am aware of that can supply both AC and DC.  

The HX Stomp requires 9v dc but over an amp, I could power one of a vitos 8 but sometimes it just died, so I kept the original PSU around for times when it didn't work. But now I have the dwarf and that runs off a single output, so all good.

However, I think the HB rocketboard power supplies provide enough power for one.

10 hours ago, Moose said:

It's 9V DC but needs more than 500mA.