Why become a member? ×

New Flatwound Time…

How1

So I have Chromes on another bass and I like them, but I’m thinking of trying some Labella Deep Talkin’ on my P-bass that’s currently strung with sandpaper (Rotosound rounds). How do the Chromes and LaBellas compare in terms of playability, particularly tension? I’ve always been put off Labellas because of it. Also how different are they tone wise? Can I get a similar sound just rolling the top end off on the chromes?

Edited by How1

I went from Chromes to LaBella  760s on one of my Precisions. I didn’t notice any change in feel or playability but the LaBellas sound fatter in the mids. No way would you get the same effect simply by rolling off the treble with the Chromes - I know because I often do this anyway.

• Like 1

I find Chromes slightly brighter overall than LaBellas. I have both on various P basses and like them equally. I’ll throw in that GHS Precision flats are also worth a try if you’re undecided which you prefer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

I went from Chromes to LaBella  760s on one of my Precisions. I didn’t notice any change in feel or playability but the LaBellas sound fatter in the mids. No way would you get the same effect simply by rolling off the treble with the Chromes - I know because I often do this anyway.

2 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

I find Chromes slightly brighter overall than LaBellas. I have both on various P basses and like them equally. I’ll throw in that GHS Precision flats are also worth a try if you’re undecided which you prefer.

I’m glad LaBellas don’t sound like rolled off chromes, I don’t particularly like that sound too much. They definitely are naturally bright and sound better (imo) with more of that left in. I actually like a fair bit of ‘clank’ in the chromes and use them on my rock/punk bass. ‘Fatter in the mids’ sound exactly what I want.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Thomastik-Infeld JF344.... 43 56 70 100 Jazz Flat Wound Long Scale Take some beating in my opinion Made In Austria, they are not cheap but will last as long as you want to keep on playing them.

How do they compare to the LaBellas, sound wise?

Chromes are brighter than labella flats in my experience, and labella come in different tensions depending on what you like, TI’s are brighter still but have a different feel and sound, more mid focused I suppose you could say and are similar tension to LTF’s 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Chromes are brighter than labella flats in my experience, and labella come in different tensions depending on what you like, TI’s are brighter still but have a different feel and sound, more mid focused I suppose you could say and are similar tension to LTF’s 

What do you use for reggae? Just curious. I’m guessing your main setup is a jazz bass/flatwounds?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, How1 said:

What do you use for reggae? Just curious. I’m guessing your main setup is a jazz bass/flatwounds?

Yeah pretty much, 2014 US jazz or jazz elite or sometimes my 71p which has a nice warm sound, all have labella LTF’s 👍

• Like 1

LaBella flats are the most old school sounding of all the strings mentioned. If you want lower tension then maybe the Low Tension LTF-4A set would be worth a try. They definitely sound more clunky( in a good way) than Thomastiks. There's something in the midrange of LaBella flats that makes them sound so good. 

Another alternative would be Dunlop flats. They've got a thick, chewy sound but are still very articulate. To my ears they are kind of an amalgamation of LaBella and Thomastiks in terms of tone. 

• Like 1

I like Chromes on my J and PJ, but use LBs on my P bass. The higher tension means you can run a slightly lower action, so playability compared to my other instruments isn't an issue. Not that I ever play anything fast/tricky on them...

• Like 1

I went for the LaBellas. Had a quick blast on them after work yesterday and really like them (even before plugging in you can tell the difference to the Chromes). They’re definitely higher tension than pretty much any other strings I’ve had, but I’m used to flats nowadays so don’t seem all that much worse.

But yeah, got a decent low action with them too so thats some compensation. They definitely are the ‘sound of the 60s’ - not just soul either.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, How1 said:

I’m glad I didn’t go full on Jamerson/Duck Dunn with the 110 set. Not sure my dainty little lady fingers could cope with em 😂. I’m still playing catch up after packing it in for a few years.

I’ve had those and imo they are for the brave 😁, way too heavy for me, proper steel cables 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2023 at 11:25, Reggaebass said:

Yeah pretty much, 2014 US jazz or jazz elite or sometimes my 71p which has a nice warm sound, all have labella LTF’s 👍

Going off on a slight tangent from the start of this thread... I bought a set of LaBella LTF-4A about a month ago. The E, A and D strings sound great, but the G is very lively, and doesn't seem to quite fit with the other three. Is this normal or have I been a bit unlucky?

52 minutes ago, oakforest5961 said:

Going off on a slight tangent from the start of this thread... I bought a set of LaBella LTF-4A about a month ago. The E, A and D strings sound great, but the G is very lively, and doesn't seem to quite fit with the other three. Is this normal or have I been a bit unlucky?

Mine are all quite worn in now, I don’t remember the G being over bright but I would have thought yours will even out in time with playing 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, How1 said:

Something else I've noticed with the LaBella flats, I don't think any other strings I've had sound as good as these with the tone rolled completely off. 

Do people roll the tone up? Blimey, I might try it tomorrow at rehearsal 😂 

It’s almost always rolled completely off for me, except for a couple of specific tunes in the set, and even then, it’s just inched up a fraction.
Rob

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Do people roll the tone up? Blimey, I might try it tomorrow at rehearsal 😂 

It’s almost always rolled completely off for me, except for a couple of specific tunes in the set, and even then, it’s just inched up a fraction.
Rob

Don't get too carried away, you might like it. One minute it's a tad more tone, the next thing you know you'll be playing fresh Rotosound rounds with a pick 😁

It was more in comparison of other strings tbh. The chromes rolled off don't sound anywhere near as good. It takes away a lot of the character of the strings. The LaBellas on the other hand hold onto it, probably even sounding better. They're really nice sounding strings.

Edited by How1
  • Like 2

I'm on Fender flats on a P bass atm. I liked the flats on my JMJ so have put them on a P bass. It's my first time using flats on a P to gig with.

tension is good . Sound is mostly good too but some of the tunes I'm playing do need rounds (Clash/Jam) but I'm coping I think

• Like 1

7 hours ago, How1 said:

Don't get too carried away, you might like it. One minute it's a tad more tone, the next thing you know you'll be playing fresh Rotosound rounds with a pick 😁

It was more in comparison of other strings tbh. The chromes rolled off don't sound anywhere near as good. It takes away a lot of the character of the strings. The LaBellas on the other hand hold onto it, probably even sounding better. They're really nice sounding strings.

Rounds and a pick? Ooof.

La Bellas are lovely strings, I have them on two of mine. I have TI’s on the other two, which I also love. They are quite different. La Bellas have a deeper voice than the TI’s, which are more mid pronounced.

• Like 1