Why become a member? ×

Extension leads

SumOne

I've always just used bog standard extension leads to get from wall socket to effects power brick and powering the amp - But I need a new one and it has got me considering if I should put more thought into it like we do with isolated power from power bricks. Orange extension cables are made to be better for outdoor use, is there equivalent for perhaps insulating against causing electrical interference noise? And is surge protection needed? 

Otherwise, the main things I consider are that it should be long, 4 way, tough/reliable.

Edited by SumOne

1 hour ago, JapanAxe said:

Nothing makes a stage look messy like white mains leads. I use black ones, and preferably black plugs too.

That doesn’t answer your question but I had to get it off my chest!

I always had a cheapo can of matt black spray paint to blow over any thing like that, to "lose" it in the darkness 👍

Do orange leads have an earth? I thought they didn't, so don't use them on stage.

I use a 3m, wind up, 4 way from Waitrose, £9.99, when bought. Red top to the container and black lead and plug. Longer ones from B&Q.

• Like 1

You can get orange leads with or without earth, it depends if the flex is 3 core (earthed)  or 2 core (not).. The 2 core are often specific for garden tools, strimmers etc, and usually have a 2 round pin plug on the tool end to match the short cable and plug on the tool. 

An extension with a socket for 3 pin plugs would most likely be earthed, but if in doubt pop the top off the plug to verify it's 3 core with earth attached. 

• Like 1

On the whole UK mains is far more robust that in other countries, so unless you are connecting equipment that is very sensitive about its voltage requirements (usually something old) you'll be fine with any earthed extension cables. If you need more than that you are probably better off with an appropriately rated UPS.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 13:15, chris_b said:

Do orange leads have an earth? I thought they didn't, so don't use them on stage.

I use a 3m, wind up, 4 way from Waitrose, £9.99, when bought. Red top to the container and black lead and plug. Longer ones from B&Q.

You can get earthed Orange cables but they are used mainly for lawn mowers so that they show up against the grass. Most are Live and Neutral only.

EDIT Sorry just seen that this has been answered above.

Edited by Chienmortbb

7 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

You can get earthed Orange cables but they are used mainly for lawn mowers so that they show up against the grass. Most are Live and Neutral only.

EDIT Sorry just seen that this has been answered above.

Not my experience at all. In the days before Speakon connectors I used 2 core orange mains cable to make up speaker leads for my band so it was obvious what they were and wouldn't get used as signal cables. The last time I went looking for any it was all 3 conductor only.

On 04/06/2023 at 09:27, JapanAxe said:

Nothing makes a stage look messy like white mains leads. I use black ones, and preferably black plugs too.

That doesn’t answer your question but I had to get it off my chest!

Not just me then :)

I buy six way extensions from Lidl then rewire them with a long, more flexible rubber coated black cable from electrical wholesalers or sometimes Screwfix. Four of these, one to run the width of the stage area and two to run up the sides (plus a spare). They are pretty much the first thing I lay down when setting up at a pub gig and everything runs off them. They've been sized to cope with the biggest stages we play on and have to be black.

• Like 2