Why become a member? ×

Refurbing a Spector 6er

TheGreek

I acquired a Spector 6er recently - plays OK but really needs a makeover. The original Holoflash finish was sprayed over in a non- descript grey, has mismatched machine heads and needs a general tidy up. I've damaged my hand so I'm limited to how much I can play - no time like the present, especially as the weather is improving so I can work outside - I took it upon myself to strip the bass down and take the body back to natural. Alder, I believe - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Before:

image.png.62820f0eec9fbbdeaf02e392631081bf.png

I've also taken it upon myself to soften the curves on the body and get rid of those right angles.

Currently:image.png.86734c2781240debcad6c7cfc3e86e08.png

image.png.9996f9f00f09f35e562639ddb6dd7621.png

Plan is to replace the pvc scratchplate with a leather one.

I've managed to grab some leather scraps from ebay for a fiver - more than enough to make mistakes without worrying too much. May need to glue the leather to something to prevent it curling off - trip to craft shop when the leather arrives. 

Still much more to do - more sanding tomorrow.

More photos as it progresses.

Edited by TheGreek
Plain stupidity
  • Like 8

I need to pick the collective brains of the BC massive. 

As stated above I'm looking at making a leather scratchplate for this bass but I would prefer if it wasn't plain. There are numerous videos on YT showing how to stamp an image into the leather so I'm thinking about an image to stamp and what to use. 

For instance I already have a Staffordshire Bull terrier badge (about the size of a 10p piece) that I could use.

image.png.26e0894094853087862d210e12f052ea.png

I'm hoping that somebody will say "have you thought of..." It can't include lettering which would be reversed so no logos. If anybody has the ability to print a stamp then please get in touch to discuss.

Thanks people.

How sturdy is the Staffie badge? Stamping means whacking the form tool with a hammer so if it's breakable, or more likely deformable you'll only get one good image.

Soaking the leather first is a good idea.

I know about soaking the leather courtesy of YT.

I was planning on pushing the badge onto a piece of wood and hitting that.  

I was hoping that somebody would suggest a novel image such as an embossed light switch/ door handle, etc.

Like this:

image.thumb.png.0e6bdd24b77874a37facd67d44eadbde.png

image.thumb.png.8a5650fe330e692066c2dcceff2a444c.png

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

Got the sanding done down to 1000 grit - not sure yet whether it needs more work. Letting the body dry before making any decisions. 

Possible that the first coat of oil goes on this afternoon.

Dogs need to go out first. 

I used Lemon oil on the '51 assembly I did a few months ago and it brought the grain out really nicely. 

I was thinking about doing the same. 

I'm not after a gloss finish so hoping that will have the desired effect. 

Hope it goes well for you, I’m not after a gloss finish either I’m sure the Osmo oil/wax leaves a satin finish. One thing I did buy a wee while ago for another project was scuff pads I went over the body with a 800 and it removed some hairy type bits no problem….🙂

First coat yesterday evening, another coat earlier today. Will be looking at another coat around Teatime today. 

Hoping that 5 coats are enough - a couple each day means that I should be putting the bass back together at the weekend.

• Like 2

I'd go for white because of the texture.  Over time it should develop an interesting patina.  I'd only consider the tan if it had some texture.  As it is, it's uninspiring.

Of course, if you can successfully emboss a distinctive emblem onto the tan leather it would offer the eye some traction, so to speak.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I've started on the tan - should be finished tomorrow. I'll make both and post photos.

My feeling currently is that the white doesn't match the body tones where as the tan is in the same palette. 

We'll have to see.

I went with the tan ultimately.  It kept the natural tone thing going which the white didn't. 

It was a bit of an experiment finding double sided tape which stuck to the bass - I ended up having to clean some of the Lemon oil off with a detergent spray for the Mammoth Powerful Grip tape to stick. A firm press/ rub over on the leather with the handle of a Stanley knife encouraged better adhesion. 

Going to let it settle before the final step of checking the wiring and plugging it in.

Here it is:

20230611_144909.jpg

20230611_144902.jpg

• Like 7