Why become a member? ×

Hi, I'm Mike.

MikeTheMisfit

Nice to meet you. I've been playing guitar for 2 years (as bad as the day I started). I went against my gut instinct of playing the Bass because I have neighbours and I just couldn't see any viable way to play without causing upset. So I bought a guitar instead and have struggled along with that for a while. 

I originally played drums which is why I think the Bass appeals more to me, perhaps it's a rhythm thing, I'm not sure.

I am finally taking the plunge into the world of Bass but I was hoping first to get advice from those of you with neighbours. How do you practice? Are you always plugged in to headphones? If so, does this affect your ability to learn. I'd be really grateful for your input, and I hope to stick around here for a long time. Cheers

Mike.

:crigon_04:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using headphones, I used to do this due to neighbour considerations. I used to use a Korg Pandora, which had the clever feature of removing bass from an input source to help playing along. I think that other similar devices have this option too.

• Like 1

Hi Mike...

I'm usually just unplugged... or headphones via a Zoom B1on... lot of Basschat love for the Zoom B1 Four... £45ish SH... or a 'lil EHX Headphone amp...

The Vox amplug are prone to breaking,

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Hi Mike...

I'm usually just unplugged... or headphones via a Zoom B1on... lot of Basschat love for the Zoom BFour... or a 'lil EHX Headphone amp...

The Vox amplug are prone to breaking,

I did think about the Vox amplug but it limits you a bit more. At least if I buy an amp and headphones I can have the option of playing out loud if I ever had the opportunity.

I don't have much money, what would be your recommendations for budget bass amps and budget bass headphones.

Amp... I'd check Facebook n Gumtree see whats local... I got a Marshall MB30... often a 'lil Fender Squier 15 or some such with HP socket for the £20ish...

As for Headphones... the Sennhieser HD206 have a 3m lead which saves ya getting tangled and £15 - £20 on the 'bay... Bargain

What Bass do you wield and what sort of sound are you after?

Post a short list (or long one...) of what ya find... and we can give ya our 2p worth...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I don't own a Bass yet, I really am literally just starting on this adventure.

The bass that I have my eye on is the Vintage V40 and the amps that are in my price range are things like the Laney LX10B.

I will absolutely buy the Sennheiser HD206, they really are a bargain and I own Sennheisers already so I know I like them.

Edit: I also see that Harley Benton do a nice bargain bass too. That could be an option.

Edited by MikeTheMisfit

Hey Mike

Welcome to this forum. Lots of great advice available and a fantastic opportunity to make new friends.

I live in a flat with neighbours - I think you have to accept that there is give and take so people (well mine anyway) are sympathetic to the need to practice. It must be less noisy that playing drums for sure. 

I'd go and speak to the neighbours and tell them that you've bought a new instrument and that you will be playing at a considerate volume - if it's too loud then ask them to let you know. You haven't got to play loud to practice.

Since you don't yet own a bass I'd post your location - pretty sure that any local BCer will be able to help with gear selection and practice advice. Personally I'd be watching lots of Talkingbass and Scotts Bass lessons videos. You haven't got to sign up to either, there are plenty of free lessons which will help you on your journey.

• Like 1

Hello Mike. Welcome to the forum. Totally agree with the comment from The Greek above. If you are practising, there's no need for huge volume and getting your neighbours on-board is never a bad idea. I'd go for low volume and no more than 1 hour amplified per day at a 'sensible' time, remembering those on nightshift, raising sprogs, etc.

Let folks know where you are based in the country and some kind soul might even meet up with you to discuss bass/amp options, prices and such-like. 

Whatever you decide, best wishes in your new bass-centric life.

Snorks

• Like 1

I always plug into an amp , but my practice level is not loud. It’s not difficult to keep a volume knob down. I also use a headphone amp for silent practice. 
I live in a self contained unit so there’s no immediate neighbour to annoy. But if I was in an apartment building I doubt anyone else would hear me. 

Welcome aboard!  :crigon_04:

I started exclusively with headphones for at least 6 months, possibly longer now I think about it. I had a zoom H4n handy recorder and plugged the bass into the mic socket with the gain right down.

Playing through headphones you will hear EVERY buzz, squeak, etc and it can be a bit depressing. So an amp instantly makes you sound better!

Lots of decent amps with a headphone socket, probably some on here in the marketplace.  I bought an EBS session 60 for about £80 from here, perfect.